Political fall out from Covid-19 pandemic

Don’t worry, that’s completely not allowed under GDPR.
Oh wait…

7 Likes
TUESDAY, OCTOBER 20, 2020

Pro Fracking Is The Most Popular Policy In America

If only coverage of issues came close to the polling on issues.

by Atrios at 10:01

12 Likes

Representative democracy at its finest.

6 Likes

I don’t understand this. The headline doesn’t seem to agree with the poll. What am I missing?

1 Like

It’s a humorous take on how American corporate media creates emphasis on issues to support their owners agenda, rather than dispassionately prioritizing their reporting.

8 Likes

It’s a sarcastic headline which was probably a Trump talking point.

5 Likes

Thanks. I don’t remember seeing anyone claiming that but I guess if you live in a bubble with only shale land owners it might seem that way.

2 Likes

It was the first big headline I read about Biden’s debate performance (“Biden Won’t Commit to Banning Fracking!” or some such nonsense).

The second was an NBC “fact check” article that exclusively rated Biden’s statements.

4 Likes

9 Likes

that Coldstone Creamery fuckwit just never stops giving!
Doug fucking Douchebag

6 Likes

As I mentioned in coronavirus happenings thread, the cases and daily deaths here in Poland are increasing at exponential rate. The government used this situation to enact nearly total abortion ban, that caused huge protests (I’ve heard that about 91% citizens oppose this ban). The ban was enacted using stacked constitutional tribunal, exactly the way @LutherBlisset warned about. Instead of listening to the protesters government doubled down and pushes courts to sentence protest organizers for 8 years in prison. Anti-abortion activists say that their next step is lobbying to ban abortion in cases where mother’s life is in danger, forcing women to die in such cases. They, being religious fanatics, say that miracle may happen in such cases.
This is a complete disaster and current government has blood on their hands now.

11 Likes

Fuck. I hate this timeline. I have friends in Warsaw, tri-nationals, no less. I wonder at what point they consider relocating. (They are really proudly Polish, but hold two other nationalities. )

10 Likes

I’m in Warsaw right now too. I’d love to attend protests, but I’ll have to visit my parents and I’d be afraid of catching COVID and infecting them. It’s a really shitty situation and shitty move by the government, if not for epidemic, millions of people would be in the streets, me and nearly everyone I know included.
I really hope there will be no need to move out of the country. People are extremely angry about political parties that have gone full far right, and internal tensions inside parties are extreme too. I hope that currently ruling party either tears itself apart or gets totally voted out in next elections.

14 Likes

I wish they wouldn’t imply that he has defended.

7 Likes

It is likely not the last protest. I just hope everyone stays sage.

The reports of violence are harrowing. And the chance of infecting one another aren’t appealing, either.

Fuck. What a nightmare.

15 Likes

People are desperate. We really don’t want Poland to become a religious dictatorship, and this is where the things are going. The interesting thing is that many people I know who previously had right wing world view changed their mind recently due to what is happening.
And ruling party leaders are adding fuel to the fire. In their earlier speeches they called for violent far right groups to show up and “protect churches”. They are also calling protesters criminals.
The COVID daily death numbers are already terrifying here and government just caused more people to get infected in the name of religious ideology. Literally the ideology is more important to them than lives of citizens.

20 Likes

Personally, I can’t do a fucking thing but to assure you: we hear you.

11 Likes

Praying we are not seeing our own (USAian) future in your streets.

8 Likes

No, I think that you’re seeing the past. It’s hard not to draw parallels to Black Lives Matter protests in US.

8 Likes

We already have our brown-shirts murdering people in our streets.

I don’t wish the protestors safety, but courage and support in the face of fascism.

9 Likes