Pomplamoose covers Hall & Oates' 'Rich Girl'

Pomplamoose is still a thing? Ugh. It’s like they’ve distilled everything that is annoying and punchable about “indie,” and condensed it into a single act. BoingBoing’s regular shilling for them is… ahem… disappointing.

1 Like

God, Pomplamoose is awful. And I miss Glove and Boots SO MUCH.

1 Like

Pomplamoose = Grapefruit Graypfroot

FTFY (-:

2 Likes

Ugh. This reminds me that I am officially tired of the “tiny waif girl” vocal style. It’s become as common as the “affected rough-throat grunge” vocals (e.g. Creed) were by around 2000.

At least there was no ukelele

1 Like

Sticky Fingers, Exile on Main Street, Goats Head Soup, Black & Blue, Some Girls.

AC/DC, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Deep Purple, Aerosmith, Kiss and Van Halen.

Joan Jett, Patti Smith, Janis Joplin, pat Benatar,

Greetings from Asbury Park, N.J.,
The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle,
Born to Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town

Transformer, Berlin, Sally Can’t Dance, Metal Machine Music, Coney Island Baby, Rock and Roll Heart, Street Hassle

And of course - The Hermit of Mink Hollow

3 Likes

Wow, lot of posts on this thread, must be some interesting discussion.

opens thread

I suppose Janis Joplin could technically be considered 70s, but she died in 1970.

1 Like

Fair enough- substitute the Clash, Damned, Buzzcocks, Iggy, Ramones, X, etc etc

3 Likes

Can, Neu, Brainticket and various other krautrock bands. Miles entered into his Bitches Brew era…

Also @YetiLives @KingGhidorah and the other haters… While neither Hall and Oates or this cover (which I like actually) are not quite what I dig musically the song does have a catchy riff and is fair enough pop fluff.
But I have long come to peace with people who like things I don’t like and vice versa. I looooooove Sun Ra but realize his music probably isn’t going to do it for everyone and that is just fine cause it is what makes the world interesting and wonderful.

Edit add not in the right place… maybe my subconscious is trying to say something to me.

2 Likes

“Wuss rock” is also a bit too petulant 12 yo boy to take seriously.

4 Likes

Why not both? Why not just like Obama AND trump? Some people have discriminating tastes. Joe Walsh sucked. Boring as fuck. Can he make songs any slower?

Yeah, yeah, I get it. I can list a shit load of bands and songs too. Did you live in the 70’s? Until I came of age and I could choose my own music, ‘wuss rock’ was all there was. It permeated everyday life and culture back then. Disco and soft (wuss) rock was everywhere. You could not escape it. The bands and songs you list you actually had to go find them. Even a few of the bands you listed just suck. You can’t put Pat Benatar in the same list as Janis Joplin. Well, maybe you can, but Benatar sucked. She was just pop music. Someone broke her heart and now she’s out for revenge, blah, blah, blah. It’s all the same shit over and over again.

1 Like

That’s great Tobin. We all have opinions on what we like and don’t like. Growing up, when I reached a certain age music was one of the few things I had control over. I could listen to what I wanted and mom and dad couldn’t stop me. As far as Hall and Oates, frankly, I find no redeeming quality in there music what so ever. That goes for any of the other bands I mentioned.

Fucking hell! I thought this was an actual 70’s band. I find it is a parody of exactly all the 70’s bands that makes me want to vomit. Just look at the two guys there. It’s perfect. Fucking hell.

1 Like

wuss%20rock

1 Like

A gentleman never asks; and a lady never tells.

Also - it wasn’t impossible to switch a radio station or listen to your own 8 track tapes back then. Or so I’ve been told.

3 Likes

Don’t forget those circular vinyl thingamabobs we used to spin…

3 Likes

How ever did you play these things?

11 Likes

I grew up in Wichita, Kansas, and I could still get my hands on some Iggy, The Cramps, Butthole Surfers, what have you. Living in L.A., the epicenter of entertainment, what were you, raised in a closet in a basement?

Your argument lacks the savory element of logic.

5 Likes

Okay, well your first sentence was kind of weird. Especially since I don’t know you and we’re on a blog, but that’s fine. But no, you can’t turn the radio station. Not when you didn’t have a radio that you could freely listen to. The only vinyl was my dad’s old 78’s and my older brother’s 45’s. I did listen to a lot of Beach Boys and Beatles back in the day. The car radio was controlled by my mom. Christian broadcast anyone? It wasn’t until I was maybe 15 when my mom stopped bothering to get me up for school. That’s when I I bought a small radio I could listen to in the bathroom when I was getting ready for school. That’s when I discovered KMET the Mighty Met and KLOS FM radio stations in Los Angeles. I first heard Brian Eno’s ‘Baby on Fire’ on KMET and that hooked me on everything subculture as far as music goes. Bowie, Eno, Iggy, New York Dolls. Then I first heard punk and eschewed pretty much everything else for many years. Getting free tickets to the Starwood every Friday night was a punker’s dream. I saw so many live punk bands, I miss those trashy, raunchy days when you can get into trouble but be too young to really get into trouble.

1 Like