PopCult ("soda")

9 Likes

I stopped drinking soda for a reason too boring to tell but quitting incidentally mostly cured my heartburn. Now I have two sodas a week. It’s too much trouble to get anything fancy. I third the props for Inca Kola, though.

2 Likes

It was only in the UK that I discovered that Dr. Pepper was supposed to be carbonated prune juice.

My favorite (steeped in nostalgia) was my grandmother’s “Elderflower Champagne”. We’d collect elderflowers from the lanes near her house and put them in bowls of water for a day to leech out all the nectar. Then we’d mix that with sugar and water and bottle it up in old Ribena bottles and stack them under the stairs. A few would always explode, but after a week or so we’d have a carbonated elderflower-flavored drink. I’ve tried to recreate it with a Sodastream and IKEA elderflower syrup, but it’s not the same.

6 Likes

(the 1968 ads aside: it’s not even a bad cola, less sweet and more caffeine than the rest of the pack. but I prefer tap water over sugar water nearly every time)

…this was the 68 Afri Cola commercial…

6 Likes

Dirt Benoit’s…

Okay Android keyboard, let’s try that again.

Diet Vernor’s is a relatively unobjectionable diet drink, and good for whiskey gingers, mules, etc. Especially when you’re making yourself 2-4 an evening. Otherwise all that sugar would be unhealthy.

6 Likes

So many great Japanese sodas. I’m a big fan of Ramune myself.

9 Likes

Fever Tree makes a great bitter lemon. I wish it weren’t so damn hard to find.

5 Likes

Back when I lived down the street from a Korean grocery I was addicted to aloe drink. This specifically:

It’s soooo good, like a grape bubble tea.

5 Likes

Did they ever sell Virgin Cola (in the allegedly Pamela Anderson inspired bottle) in the US?

4 Likes

Or so absurdly expensive.

2 Likes

I used to live near an outlet that sold Fever Tree in retail distribution packaging (1L x 8 or 250mL x 24) at near-wholesale prices. Those were the days.

2 Likes

I do love San Pellegrino’s Lemon stuff…

Bubbly water blended with Lemonheads.

9 Likes

Is it a “virgin” because it’s wildly less curvy than Anderson?

1 Like

5 Likes

Discovered on honeymoon in 1999, loved ever since. Not easy to find in the US, but there are places that have it.

5 Likes

that stuff is way too strong… I use it strictly as a mixer.

1 Like

I deeply miss Ale-8-1, which was my go-to pop when I lived in Kentucky.

These days my standard beverage is…

I also love San Pellegrino and sometimes buy it by the case from Trader Joes. It’s so refreshing when cold, but not very tasty when room temp.

3 Likes

The sweet corn sounds like the most palatable of the bunch. If that’s wrong I don’t want to be right. Besides I want to try all of them, especially the ranch flavored soda. Yes it sounds awful but that’s precisely why I want to try it.

6 Likes

Oh, it IS awful.

3 Likes

My daughter and I splurge on a great local root beer.
So much vanilla!

7 Likes