Post a pic of your favorite toy

My favorite toy was a Hoth Ice Fortress playset that my parents made out of foamcore board/insulation using a pattern out of some home magazine. It was versatile and huge compared to bought toys.

5 Likes

Iā€™m going to have to amend my favorite toy.

My dad enrolled me in a Childrenā€™s Book of the Month club, and it went on for several years. Best thing he ever got me.

I was heartbroken when my younger brothers learned about crayons and scissors and used my books to test their skills.

3 Likes

Oooooo, fun toy! I bet you make lotsa neat stuff.

I havenā€™t been able to get the uninterrupted time to play with it much of late. The last thing I made was this, in June. I finally found my thrift-store bedsheets.

14 Likes

Vader at the neckline and ā€œStar Warsā€ centered at the waist is perfect.

3 Likes

This isnā€™t my first stuffed animal, but my older brother knitted it for me for my sixth birthday (he would have been eight). Iā€™ve taken it pretty much everywhere since then.

My parents gave away our toys or handed them down, so my little brotherā€™s got the Lego collection - which was probably my favourite thing from my childhood.

9 Likes

Man, in high school, we had about 2 dozen soda machines in the school. There were 3000 students, so they needed that many. They were all Pepsi branded, and over the course of those four years, I must have drankā€¦
######(ā€¦carry the oneā€¦)

ā€¦

About 500 gallons of Mountain Dew. The machines only ever ran out of Mountain Dew. Thatā€™s what sleep-deprived teenagers instinctively know has the most caffeine.

4 Likes

Oh yeah. I remember desperately wanting a stretch armstrong. For years. Eventually my grandparents got my little brother one for his birthday. After about five minutes of gentle stretching, my brother bet me I couldnā€™t pull him apart. He lost the bet, but got to enjoy quite a lot of carpet cornsyrup before grandma discovered the abandoned doll, its limbs rended from its body, embedded in a puddle of syrup that had worked its way into the deep shag carpet.

That was a fun toy. I got to break something of my brotherā€™s for once, instead of the other way around, which was the norm.

4 Likes

So weā€™re sharing about childhood toys and not adult toys thenā€¦

Fair enough, this was one was always my favourite as a kid.

2 Likes

would it help if you remove the run(a)way sticker?

The dog is mostly scared of it because he canā€™t sit in my lap while I use it. He doesnā€™t like anything that comes between him and snuggles.

Thank you! I spent a while laying it out so as to get most of the main ā€œcast photoā€ on the front.

6 Likes

I love how the first word of her description is ā€œLiberatedā€

3 Likes

When I was very young, I made myself a stuffed eel. Itā€™s name was Eel and it lurked on one side of my bed for years. As you can see, it was made with more love than skill.

Later, Eel was joined by Wolf; a wolf, now somewhat felted by long affection, here seen guarding the ZFS array:

7 Likes

Couldnā€™t get enough of the ā€œAdventure Peopleā€. The yellow submersible was a requirement in the bath or practically any body of water clear enough that I could see it. And if that body of water had waves, the Sea Explorer was likely to challenge (and fail) Natureā€™s test, to my great enjoyment. Damn, I can still hear that front hatch squeakingā€¦

Between that and Stuart Littleā€™s vrooom-vrooming around on his m/c and ping-pong ball helmet, I was all good.

3 Likes

Anybody ever have a Vertibird?

I remember having a lot of fun with this. I actually got a modern non ship one for the kid when he was younger.

2 Likes

I had a fairly basic one back in the '70ā€™s I remember it being something like this:

6 Likes

I spent many happy hours pretending to drive a tiny plastic car when Santa brought my mom bought me a U-Drive-It.

5 Likes

Well, sheā€™d have to be ā€œliberatedā€ to ride a bike back then, right? :wink:

3 Likes

I had this one:

7 Likes

Huh - a lot of older posters than I imagined, as several of these things I have never seen. And I consider myself olderā€¦