Premiere of “Heathers” TV series will be delayed out of respect for those affected by Florida school murders

Color me shocked; the hell, you say!

That it’s already on the torrents, but there’s next to no buzz among the fangirls and nostalgia-philes speaks volumes, IMO.

11 Likes

it’s a trap.

2 Likes

I had a peek on Twitter the day it came out - seemed to be divided between people saying that the satire was removed, and others saying it was so satirical that the first group just didn’t get it. Also apparently they talk about SJWs so ripped from the headlines :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

8 Likes

I wasn’t even tempted.

There are some forms of media (films/novels/songs) that should just be left alone, because the odds of improving upon them, or even doing the originals justice, are so low.

See exhibits, A through O…

A) Footloose
B) The Karate Kid
C) Clash of the Titans
D) Friday the 13th
E) Total Recall
F) Red Dawn
G) Conan the Barbarian
H) Dirty Dancing
I) Nightmare on Elm street
J) Fame
K) Die Hard
L) Poltergeist
M) Arthur
N) Rambo
O) Indiana Jones

And those are just the ones right off the top of my head…

10 Likes

I watched the first episode today. It’s good, but weird. Lots of throwback/homage items in the background to look at. True to the original, but updated?

I’m going to enjoy this, but I don’t know why.

1 Like

I was late to the show with Heathers. Even though I love Christian Slater, I’d never seen it till about 6 months ago. I liked it. Though that preview… eh… some times the original is good enough and says what it needs to - remaking it is just a cheap copy with CHINA printed on it somewhere. Lacks the same substance.

3 Likes

Worse than you’d think:

11 Likes

All of the Heathers have distinct personalities and are a little bit outsider-y in this one, which implies they’re completely missing the point from the get go.

8 Likes

Oh fuck that nonsense, then.

They wouldn’t be the first.

To this day, I have issues with a clique of snotty, bullying drag queens on the 3rd season of Rupaul’s Drag Race who styled themselves “the Heathers” after the mean girls in the movie… Most of all because it was clear they either never watched the film, or they were just too damn dense to get the point - the Heathers were all vapid, one-dimensional, cookie-cutter phonies, and the only standout was Veronica Sawyer.

11 Likes

I’m a big film buff who’s seen a lot of obscure dark comedies (heart me if you loved “Man Bites Dog” :wink: ) and somehow never saw Heathers until like, a year or two ago.

But all my female friends love it and were surprised I’d never heard of it. (One descibed it as “Fight Club for 90s girls”, heh)

A TV remake sounds interesting. I hope they do a good job with it.

1 Like

The original Heathers were a clique of privileged girls shaming and attacking people with marginalized identities. In that story, the Heathers themselves were the sort of teens one might identify with the American right, the conservatives who denounce gender fluidity or body positivity, who see liberals as “snowflakes” because they dare to accept someone who doesn’t fit into a narrow range of molds.

In the reboot, it’s the outsider kids–the LGBT student, the overweight student, etc.–who comprise the Heathers clique, and it’s up to the cisgender white girl to… murder them, apparently. If we’re following the same vein as the film.

They’ve taken a film that was pro-liberalism and turned it into a conservative revenge fantasy. And that’s why nobody is really mourning the loss if this thing never sees the light of day.

17 Likes

Ah, yes. That article explains it far better than my post.

2 Likes

But if you agree with the article, you must be “confused.”

O_o

1 Like

one of many pre-1989 shootings:

2 Likes

Corn-NUTS!..

(as usual, I’ll see myself out)

4 Likes

It’s also being delayed because people who’ve seen it have said it’s utter garbage that shits all over the original in horrific ways that have no business being on TV in 2018.

4 Likes

5 Likes

Not as out of touch as not realising that overweight or queer kids are still far more likely to be unpopular or the victims of bullying at school.

14 Likes

Black kids too, still.

I must have missed it whenever the fuck this ‘complete reversal of fortunes’ supposedly happened; where the marginalized and disenfranchised are not only no longer being persecuted, but now we’re actively ‘antagonizing’ people who have traditionally been over-privileged.

15 Likes

While it has probably been going on in smaller doses for eons, I think the right wing began their campaign of pretending upper class whites were under attack when they first started going after Affirmitive Action in the mid-late-1990s.

11 Likes