Premiere of “Heathers” TV series will be delayed out of respect for those affected by Florida school murders

We have a government dominated by folks offering socially unjust text messages every single day. Maybe some social justice subtext will help? Not sure it can hurt.

1 Like

damage-heather

6 Likes

Never be a Heather… always be a Veronica!

4 Likes

Holy hell, talk about missing the damn point of the original!

9 Likes

So the moral of the story is that anyone can be a vapid, horrible person who treats others like shit, not just the previous archetype for who were the “cool kids”?

1 Like

You should read the list. Prior to the late twentieth century they are all actual altercations,usually revenge for whipping. It isn’t until the UT massacre that we get indiscriminate murder of strangers - which inspired a bunch of copycats. But it isn’t until Columbine that we get the modern “high school shooter”. This is new.

The UT massacre is definitely an inaugural event of this kind, and it inspired immediate copycats, but it was not a high school student. Whitman was a married adult with a history of military service. There is also a long gap between this and Columbine, after which we had a steady accumulation of these events.

Yes, no kid today is at all influenced by 80s movies they haven’t seen. ? Was that your point? I’m the same age as the Columbine shooters, and grew up with Heathers. Surely you will account that school shooters are influenced by Columbine.

True - but looking back - we had other types of violence.

“But the threat of a bombing was far greater in the 1970s – and these weren’t just threats, they were reality. There were more than 1,000 politically inspired bombings every year in the United States during the early part of the decade, and politically inspired violence became a fact of everyday life.”

The Patty Hearst kidnapping? You don’t know the half of it

By Jeffrey Toobin, CNN

Updated 2:27 PM ET, Thu February 8, 2018
patty hearst episode 1 clip 2_00000000

“Jeffrey Toobin is CNN’s chief legal analyst and author of “American Heiress: The Wild Saga of the Kidnapping, Crimes and Trial of Patty Hearst.” Follow him on Twitter @JeffreyToobin. The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of the author. For more on the kidnapping, watch “The Radical Story of Patty Hearst,” for which Toobin is an executive producer, at 9 p.m. ET Sundays on CNN.”

(CNN)The kidnapping of Patty Hearst can seem as distant in time as a yellowed newspaper clipping – and as current as today’s bit-borne headline.
Fundamentally, though, the story is timeless, because at its core it’s a mystery about why human beings do what they do. And the key elements that play out in the saga – terrorism, the role of the media, wealth and celebrity – are as relevant today as they were more than 40 years ago.

5 Likes

Totes!

“Veronica” is what a good online friend of mine and I used to call each other in jest; I miss him.

That’s true enough, but we still don’t need a whole lackluster reboot of a cult classic movie to remind us.

Merely having identity labels (and daring to own them!) is not the equivalent of being popular and accepted by one’s peers.

Black, gay, trans and fat folks still face a metric fuckton of adversity and sometimes outright persecution; a show that takes one of each and makes them into flat villainous caricatures isn’t “social justice subtext;” it’s psychological projection, at best… and half-assed, lazy writing at worst.

12 Likes

The movie is set in high school about murdering, bullying and suicide. Not sure how anyone can execute this into something that doesn’t inflame the issue, especially with people who are confused.

FOUR LIONS was a comedy about Islamic terrorism.
BLAZING SADDLES was a comedy about omnipresent racism in America.
DR. STRANGELOVE was a comedy about the all-too-real prospect of nuclear annihilation during the Cold War.
NETWORK was a comedy about the pliability of the American psyche and those who know how to exploit it.
LIFE OF BRIAN was a comedy about the historical (and, by extension, contemporary) religious and political machinations in the Middle East from within and without.

There will always be confused people. Some of them ascend to the Presidency. And quite honestly there’s no indication that the producers of this show can equal the successful executions in the movies I cite. That’s no reason to self-censor, however. And to anyone who suggests otherwise, I say fuck’em and feed’em Froot Loops.

4 Likes

I’m just pissed nobody wants to reboot Zardoz or The Final Programme.

6 Likes

I’m agged they won’t do a sequel to Leon the Professional; a story about how Matilda’s life turned out afterward would be hella interesting - especially if she went on to become a cleaner.

13 Likes

It should be delayed permanently out of respect for humanity. It recasts as the popular controlling bullies a clique of LGBT/overweight Heather/POC’s who leverage their minority status as a continuous threat to manipulate and humiliate the school’s cis caucasions, playing into the (real) fake news narrative that the latter are now in the minority and under constant threat.

F me gently with a chainsaw.

8 Likes

As far as I know the recent Rambo was not a remake, it was a distant sequel from the prior ones.

But the problem with remaking the others are they were such big hits and so culturally ubiquitous that the elements which are well known and loved have already been incorporated as references elsewhere.

Also some films are just a product of the time/moment/production. That unique lightning in a bottle.

Like you cannot remake Flash Gordon and top the sheer campiness and WTF’ery of the original because it was the culmination of: a difficult international production, a cast with more hams than Spain, a script which was being revised on the fly, and dubbing issues.

5 Likes

That alone puts it into the realm of missing the point by light years.

3 Likes

psssst…FLASH GORDON was a remake.

4 Likes

Have you ever seen the original heathers?

1 Like

flash-gordon-vultan

11 Likes