Premiere of “Heathers” TV series will be delayed out of respect for those affected by Florida school murders

It was the first version of it which was a feature film from conception!

(Yes its a lame excuse, I have no shame)

3 Likes

Oooh… that WOULD make a good movie. And Natalie Portman matured into a really good actress, so you could have her show off her dramatic chops and actions skills.

ETA - This reminds me of the ST:TNG episode where they had these little bug things take over some of Starfleet, and they stopped but they beamed a message out to the Alpha Quadrant. WHY did they never bring that back up again???

3 Likes

“Tell me again about this…Houdini”

7 Likes

The guy who played Flash is coming to a small Con in Wichita later this month.

3 Likes

They did. They were called the Borg.

Basically the showrunners realized it would be near impossible FX wise to do a sentient insectoid race like that so all the storylines connecting to that were dropped and morphed into the Borg.

5 Likes

Neat! Any idea what else he’s done over the years?

1 Like

His name is Sam Jones. Show some respect, he did save us all you know.

8 Likes

What puts the mark at Columbine for you instead of say Pearl, Paducah, Jonesboro or Olivehurst? Those were all multiple victim shootings carried out by current or recent former students which received tremendous media attention.

1 Like

Well probably 2nd best known for playing himself in Ted and Ted 2. But he’s kept busy.

So… like… not really.

2 Likes

Well, you asked. I gave the official answer as to what happened. How you take that information is entirely up to you. And at one point the Borg WERE going to be insectoid cyborgs but that is where the FX couldn’t handle it. So that part was dropped, but everything else was kept.

1 Like

ya, loved it.

Right all of these are adult titles, not set in and directed at high school. That’s the difference and maybe I should have been clearer about that.

OK, I can work within this constraint, if you wish.

REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955) Such delinquency.

THE BLACKBOARD JUNGLE (1955) Switchblades count as weapons, even when Glenn Ford is involved.

LORD OF THE FLIES (1963) Includes bullying and murder. Also true of the shitty 1990 remake.

TO SIR, WITH LOVE (1968) Oy, such delinquency, guv’ner.

IF… (1968) An armed insurrection at a public (meaning private) school in England. Includes bullying and murder. Considered among the top 20 British films ever made.

FAME (1980) Includes drug use, abortion, exploitation of a minor, and, arguably, abusive bullying behavior from the teaching staff.

MY BODYGUARD (1980) A film literally about bullying. Resolved by violence, unarmed.

TAPS (1981) An armed insurrection at a military school in the US. Is there shooting in it? There is shooting in it.

DAZED AND CONFUSED (1993) Res ipso loquitur.

Please tell me which of these film you would unmake. MY BODYGUARD wouldn’t be much of a loss, I suppose.

2 Likes

Reboot, remake, sequel, prequel; give it a name, the end result remains the same - it’s still a familiar story which spawned a lucrative franchise.

Real talk; some phenoms just can’t be recreated.

Heathers is such a movie IMO; no matter how much mental gymnastics some people are engaging in, in their attempt to justify the lame retread.

5 Likes

I’d laugh if it wasn’t so depressingly untrue. I know from experience because I live in Oxford. The fight to get the T and Q in Oxford University LGBTQsoc is still in recent memory, along with all the bullshit reasons to exclude us (and they haven’t gone away). There is still a lot of racism here too. Yes, it’s better than Carlisle, but you can’t get much worse than a remote town/city.

This idea that they aren’t outsiders because they are in a white, prosperous and liberal suburb seems so far in the future that the might as well have put the school on Mars and have flying cars in it.

I have seen these types of characters rapidly become reasons for real world popular kids to abuse us, and have experienced it first hand. I regularly had Barbara and Emily shouted at me back when they were on television. Interestingly, I never had anyone shout Hayley at me, presumably because she was treated sympathetically on Coronation Street.

This will end badly if it is shown.

11 Likes

Did you forget The Outsiders (1983)? :wink:

That would be so awesome! Instead of all these lame remakes, take a good story and run with it. Unfortunately, I have no faith that Hollywood could do it justice. They’d totally change the tone or something critical like that.

4 Likes

I KNOW, right?

It was apparently batted around and someone in charge on the original production blew it off, alluding to the fact that “Natalie Portman is a mom now!” (Ie, too old, by Hollywood standards.)

What a crock of shit.

With the right director and the right script, it could be badass… but no, they’d rather churn out bad rehash after bad rehash.

Did I mention that I just saw a preview for Death Wish, starring Bruce Willis?

8 Likes

The new Heathers sounds like it’s going back to the original Heathers’ inspiration, Massacre at Central High:

New kid moves into town and kills off the school bully clique, white, rich, preppy types. With them gone, the former underclass of misfits thrive, only to become bullies themselves. And then…

2 Likes

Do you see it as being a problematic film?

Why? In the original film, the popular kids were his foil, because he recognized that although he was from some wealth, that that elite culture was fake and toxic. It was about rejecting his class status as much as it was about him being an asshole. It’s why Veronica digs him, even though she can see he’s dangerous.

By making the kids who ARE STILL VERY MUCH MARGINALIZED the bullies, it flips the script and assumes that these kids aren’t still marginalized. But given that especially LBGQT kids have higher suicide rates, I think that suggests that they still are treated like shit in their schools, especially schools that have a social pecking order, like the vast majority of white, suburban, rich public schools.

8 Likes