Prince Charles tests positive for coronavirus

(You know I had to.)

7 Likes

Wouldn’t that require some heavy duty Richard III style regicide?

2 Likes

Elizabeth is Queen of Canada separately from her status of Queen of the United Kingdom. By convention, the heir becomes King or Queen in Canada, but I believe there is some provision for choosing a different monarch (or at the very least we have to agree to Charles or William become king, even if it’s just a formality).

That said, some regicide is always healthy for national morale.

2 Likes

We’re into proper angels-on-a-head-of-a-pin territory here, but there still seems to some constitutional debate as to whether Canada, the UK and the other Commonwealth Realms:

• have separate monarchies that for historical reasons happen to be occupied by the same person, and are thus merely in a personal union (similar to how the UK and Hanover were until the death of William IV); or

• share a single monarchy that belongs equally to all of them, and thus requires their unanimous consent when it comes to changing things like succession laws.

4 Likes

Yup. Nothing’s changed.

defaced20

4 Likes

Literally the bottom of my list of national issues I’m willing to die for.

3 Likes

I guess he qualifies as being in an essential profession.

4 Likes

To an American, this is on par with the rules for curling, and the jurisdiction of the RCMP. No matter how many times it is explained to me by Canadians, it just goes in one ear and out the other.

No problem with that.

2 Likes

Post can so be empty, so there!

1 Like

11 Likes

To understand this stuff, I recommend living closer to the border. Even the icing rule in ice hockey becomes understandable if you live close to Canada!

7 Likes

And the Detroit River is frozen over.

2 Likes

Well, we do have Harry, who’s moved to Canada, so if the royals currently living in the U.K. are wiped out, we have a spare.

6 Likes

If Canada, why not Shatner?

3 Likes

Well, actually…
Harry’s official first name is Henry, so it would be Henry IX (or Henry I or Harry I or no one, depending on years of debate).

2 Likes

Coast Guard comes through with an ice breaker when that happens!

3 Likes

Does everyone shout “icebreaker!” and move the nets out of the way?

5 Likes
3 Likes

Or he could use one of his other names: he’s got four of them. Edward VII’s actual first name was Albert, as was George VI’s (George was his fourth name). And while Edward VIII’s first name really was Edward, he went by David to family and close friends.

3 Likes

Oh, my. One does not play shinny on a very busy international shipping route!

4 Likes