Puerto Rico Devastation

No. That is an important discussion, especially in a time when this kind of events are likely to be more frequent and the nature of the news is that, once the disaster will have slipped down the news line, the discussion will simply not take place. Now is the time to learn about the mistakes which were done in Puerto Rico and everywhere else.

Do you remember New Orleans? There was outrage when the city was flooded. Was something done to mitigate the next disaster, which may hit any city in the southwest USA? What happened in Houston a month ago? Luckily, Houston is not next to a major river.

You are just as online as I am. I may be an armchair analyst, but you are an armchair “concerned citizen”. It is fine to feel concerned, it is even fine to show outrage online, but it is not very efficient either. You seem to forget that.

I’m also just as capable of editing my comments as you are.

I’m not here to pick a fight, and I am uninterested in helping with your ego today.

Consider your peace said, and have a good day. Maybe donate some money.

Talk is cheap

1 Like

Doubles down, as always.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-maria/u-s-doing-really-good-job-in-storm-hit-puerto-rico-trump-says-idUSKCN1C11ZP?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FtopNews+(News+%2F+US+%2F+Top+News)

“We’ve gotten A-pluses on Texas and in Florida, and we will also on Puerto Rico,” Trump told reporters in Washington. “The difference is this is an island sitting in the middle of an ocean. It’s a big ocean, it’s a very big ocean. And we’re doing a really good job.”

He’s probably not sure where in the ocean 
 or which one.

4 Likes
2 Likes

How do you think PR taxpayers ended up 33 million in the hole? Hint: it has to do with the eighteen he failed to develop then bailed on.

4 Likes
4 Likes

It was really shocking to hear him explain that it was easier to help in Texas because PR is surrounded on all sides by water, and Texas or Florida you can just drive across. That from the guy with the keys to largest most powerful set of ships the world has ever seen.

The banality of evil has a whole new meaning to me after that.

5 Likes

the implication is that you’re the teacher. You really might stop to consider if you’re infantilizing anyone you disagree with. I think it’s a derail and takes attention away from the ongoing disaster response - so you can have it.

I’m going to mute you now, so I don’t accidentally pay attention to you which is needed elsewhere, until this is resolved and the time for lessons learned has come around. We are not there yet, maybe you are, but PR is not and I am not.

I am not sure you’ll see my answer since you chose to mute me, but this criticism made me pause and think. I will change my ways.

4 Likes
5 Likes

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-puertorico/trump-scrambles-to-convince-americans-he-can-handle-puerto-rico-crisis-idUSKCN1C2150?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FtopNews+(News+%2F+US+%2F+Top+News)

But with the territory’s 3.4 million people struggling to get food, water, power and shelter, Democratic leaders in Congress and some Puerto Rico residents, who are U.S. citizens, accused the Trump administration of being more sluggish in its response than to disasters on the U.S. mainland.

It’s pretty sad when Reuters feels the need to spell that out, but worse yet, it seems to be news to more people than Trump.

2 Likes

Gotta preserve those business interests after all. Profits ĂŒber alles.

“A lot of shippers don’t want me to waive the Jones Act?” So much for being presidential and telling them to go fuck themselves until the crisis is mitigated at very minimum.

5 Likes

This is an all-hands-on-deck maximum-effort emergency. Puerto Rico is dying.

3 Likes
5 Likes

I recall Randi Rhodes just after Katrina, explaining on air that the USAF can drop pallet after pallet, safely on a target the size of a pallet. And they do so daily, around the world. She had done it herself, professionally.

Now the question is, what happens when the Hamptons get wrecked
 would they get USAF air drops? I say they would.

3 Likes

more than I could ask for, see you at the rodeo.

They would get full on national guard details.

1 Like

???

On the one hand, good. This was the right thing to do.

On the other, how many fucking weeks did this take? And only a 10 day waiver? Because that’s all its gonna take?

FFS.

4 Likes