QAPLA': General Star Trek thread... for all your Trekin' needs

Colm Meany wants to sell you a 1972 Chevy Caprice

7 Likes

8 Likes

If only Mr. Musk had read these posts…

5 Likes

The problem with Elon is that he always assumes he is interacting with himself. Because he is incapable of imagining anything else

To remain on topic…I can’t think of any Stacey Abrams-style Star Trek cameo that I would be happy to see Elon in. Even if he showed up as a Ferengi I would be thinking “No…even the Ferengi are smarter than this dude”.

Maybe just an new, updated historical reference that adds that he was the first man to die on Mars. In a bloody mutiny when the newly landed citizens were told “We’re moving fast and breaking things”, which is what has gotten us here! To Mars! So now that we are here, let’s figure out this oxygen production thing!"

4 Likes

I think that it says so much that an actor of his stature, who also had an ongoing genre character (or two) on the side, leaned into that part. So many actors feel trapped by roles like that and make it their life’s work to push it away. I also think it says a lot that it’s Star Trek: The Next Generation specifically.

It also made me think back over that career. Damn, if you haven’t seen it (or haven’t in a while) go watch Excalibur from 1981. It’s not just a great movie, it has early roles from Patrick Stewart, Liam Nissan, Helen Mirren and others. They all look like babies. Except for Patrick Stewart. He just looks like Patrick Stewart. I really want to see baby and kid pictures now, since I am pretty sure it is just a series of identical Patrick Stewarts, gradually increasing in size.

9 Likes

Captain Lorca was a fan of Mr. Musk.

6 Likes

Well he did come from the mirror universe, so that tracks…

7 Likes

Lorca is from the mirror universe where, obviously, Elon was smart (because mirror universe). So his rant was about his Elon*. Stamets at the time was thinking “Who the fuck is Elon Musk?!?”, but obviously did not want to seem ignorant and went along with Lorca.

*Obviously the Wright brothers still invented the airplane in the mirror universe, but it was powered by orphan’s tears

@Mindysan33

white fang cocaine GIF by Burger Records

5 Likes

Patrick Stewart had a fairly developed career in TV before Excalibur.

He was a villain in I, Claudius (check out those curly locks!)

He also played Karla, the communist spymaster in several John LeCarre adaptions

And Lenin in Fall of Eagles (a series about how WWI ended 3 major European monarchies)

Your theory definitely seems plausible.

11 Likes

He was so great in Fortysomething Ronins.

6 Likes

Ah, the prison scene… held up his own against freakin’ Sir Obi Wan Guinness without saying one single word.

8 Likes

I think they leaned into him playing various ages in that. The same actor played Karla in flashbacks from 30 years before and now.

The payoff in Smiley’s world is sublime. Obi Wan says nothing the entire series where he has been outfoxed by Picard who is so silent they aren’t even sure he exists. And the end is him walking into a room to talk, talk, talk, until there is nothing left.

6 Likes

Much better than the film version. Which wasn’t bad at all.

6 Likes

After a restful nap with a mask!

[ETA] also, this…

from

[ETA]

from

10 Likes

Patrick Stewart, age 7 ½ -

3 Likes

Looks a little like Ezra Miller

3 Likes

He did win the academy marathon.

4 Likes

It’s actually the late Andy Whitfield of Spartacus fame.

EDIT: I missed your joke. I’m thick

Confused Not Funny GIF by Travis

4 Likes

“ A new short set in the Star Trek universe depicts the recovery of the USS Enterprise-D and Spock’s visit to James Kirk’s grave on Veridian III. The video does not come directly from Paramount but rather from the Gene Roddenberry Estate and OTOY, who created it for the new Roddenberry Archives website where fans can virtually tour the bridge of the Enterprise as it has appeared throughout Star Trek’s history and more. It is the third of the Roddenberry Archive’s “765874” series, “Regeneration.” It sees Spock (with the digitally recreated likeness of Leonard Nimoy) going to Kirk’s grave and retrieving his Starfleet badge.”

7 Likes

Nice! But I don’t want Kirk to be brought back! I would much rather watch the adventures of the half-Orion daughter that he never knew about

7 Likes