QAPLA': General Star Trek thread... for all your Trekin' needs

IMG_9382

5 Likes

SNW series 2, episode 1 was a lot of fun. Good character work all around, well-shot action and an interesting plot that builds well on preceding elements of the pre-TOS Trek era.

Spoilers below:

From a detail-oriented nerd perspective, I liked seeing the reuse of the Discovery sets, and low-key saying that visual continuity is less important than storytelling. If Mitchell was right and the ship that took off from the planet is a Crossfield-class, and it looks different to the Discovery and Glenn, then they’re essentially confirming that the shows don’t need to all look the same, and I’m here for that. if this was an episode of Discovery the Klingons would be in that show’s harsher makeup, for example.

I also liked that they’re leaning more into the whole thing of much of the crew having fought in a war they came very close to losing only a few years prior. Like Uhura probably signed up in the immediate aftermath and did an accelerated course to end up on Enterprise about 2 years after the armistice. It’s clear that M’Benga and Chapel saw some shit and Ortegas seems to have some scars from it as well. That we know Enterprise was in deep space and not recalled means there’s a chance for drama as Pike, Spock and Una sat the war out while other members of the crew were on the frontlines.

All that aside I like that they’re developing Spock and Chapel’s relationship more and building towards the unrequited love elements seen in TOS. I can easily see them getting intense, breaking up and it leading Chapel to get engaged to Roger Korby but them having some level of long-distance relationship while Spock retreats form his emotions to avoid guilt over betraying T’Pring, and their relationship getting distant to the point that it leads to Amok Time. They’re good examples of how you can do a prequel and add context and texture to existing material.

Carol Kane was a lot of fun as Pelia, I had to look up Lanthanites after the episode to see if they were a thing from Enterprise given her conversation with Spock at the end of the episode, but apparently not. She’s a guest-star listed in the closing credits instead of main cast, but hopefully she’ll be sticking around for a couple of years at least.

6 Likes

Carol Kane was a god damn delight.

8 Likes

I think it’s impossible for her not to be a god damn delight.

10 Likes

Happy Captain Picard Day!

IMG_8842

7 Likes

I wonder did they pick Bloomsday deliberately?

6 Likes

I’m always confused about Bloomsday, cause I always think it’s in early July… I should probably actually read Ulysses at some point…

:thinking:

They should do an episode of star trek where they go hang out with James Joyce…

10 Likes

Well we know Picard took a copy of Ulysses on vacation to Risa.

10 Likes

Well, what else!

9 Likes

The Space Corps Directives?

2 Likes

The dedication to Nichelle Nichols was touching:

For Nichelle, who was the first through the door and showed us the stars. Hailing frequencies forever open."

14 Likes

I wasn’t prepared for it and immediately started tearing up. Very touching indeed.

7 Likes

Me too.

Sad Oh No GIF by Unscreen

6 Likes

The SNW ad that’s in quite a few locations in Dublin

(this particular instance is Smithfield Square, that’s Brown Bag Studios’ window on the right of the frame)

10 Likes

12 Likes

IMG_8876

6 Likes

tumblr_mrhokwkeMW1qzkkr1o1_400

9 Likes

from

12 Likes

The paper book has been out for years. But getting to listen to just plain Mr Garek again? Yes!

8 Likes

Also…

8 Likes