QAPLA': General Star Trek thread... for all your Trekin' needs

TIL Michael Dorn was a regular on CHiPs

6 Likes

And it’s a really good book, too!

3 Likes

SNW Episode 2 is easily the best yet. I wasn’t as hot on series 1 as a lot of people - I enjoyed it and appreciated how confident it was but felt it didn’t gel together, but this week really built on the events there in a great way. spoilers (including minor spoiler for Andor):

I felt the ending was a bit of a cop-out, but at the same time there isn’t a lot they could do given the anti-genetic modification laws are still in place 100 years later in DS9. Even if Neera successfully uses the legal precedent here to help some other people, it’s clear that it never becomes more than a small number. But this is the kind of self-limitation that powerful dramas which are prequels can find themselves in, like how Luthen’s speech in Andor is incredible, but we know the Republic his actions help to found will piss away his efforts within 20 years.

That aside, the courtroom drama was exceptional, with the most powerful sequences being Una’s speech and Neera cross-examining Admiral April. I found the cross-examination interesting because they had two actors of colour discussing selective use of rules involving people who are in outgroups - pre-warp societies and genetically modified people here. It’s an interesting use of casting but I fear it might be a bit tone-deaf? I’m not the person to make that decision of course.

I liked that they continue to call back to DISCO in little ways too, like the admiral uniforms being a mix of the DISCO blues but the “newer” TOS-style decorations.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Watch Star Trek: Prodigy on Paramount+ while you can. It’s too bad, too: while it was targeted at younger audiences I enjoyed watching a group of younger characters who had no idea what the Federation was or stood for learning those lessons.

7 Likes

I have not watched the show… but I just saw that Jessie Gender posted a video about them pulling it from the service…

5 Likes

14 Likes

It’s very YA, which is good because it’s aimed at a young audience, but I enjoyed the overarching storylines more than I did any individual episode as a result. Hopefully they’ve got a good endpoint planned for the unresolved stuff from series 1 because the setup for series 2 was pretty awesome.

1 Like

IMG_9048

12 Likes

They cancelled a lot of shows too…

6 Likes
6 Likes

I just discovered that Prodigy is on NowTV in UK and Ireland in case anyone was wondering how to watch it.

5 Likes

8 Likes

I dont think its fair to blame Jeri Ryan here at all. He was pressuring her to go to sex clubs to have sex while ithers watched. That was hardly a direct consequence of her acting schedule.

11 Likes

Thank god for piracy.

3 Likes

("Live Long and Prosper." - Spock #startrek #captainkirk #drspock #rarefootage #behindthescenes #williamshatner #leonardnimoy #nichellenichols #space #exploration #television #60s | Michael Babalola | Michael Babalola · Original audio)

Shake that booty, DeForest!

3 Likes
8 Likes

True. I also think they’re being a bit harsh about Voyager, but it’s an amusing story of cause and effect.

6 Likes

It’s aired on Nickelodeon over here too, but looks to be out of rotation at the moment according to my TV

4 Likes

Man, that hits me right in the '70’s.

5 Likes