QAPLA': General Star Trek thread... for all your Trekin' needs

The new transporter chief in series 2 is being played by a genderqueer actor so hopefully they’ll do something there, and it’s a safe bet that Captain Angel will be back and they’re non-binary.

3 Likes

Yes - but I meant main, continuing cast members.

Also - Is Angel the character non-binary? Or the actor? I don’t remember

3 Likes

Absolutely, especially as DISCO is coming to an end it’d be great for the other shows to pick up the slack in LGBT rep and expand it further.

3 Likes

I think this has been posted before…

BUT, the artist has lots of other cool stuff on his website!

Excited Season 3 GIF by Paramount+

12 Likes

And his artwork appears on the cover of this book:

https://www.davidkseitz.com/

6 Likes
7 Likes

Did the writer mix up HMS Bounty/Captain Bligh and USS Caine/Captain Queeg there?

3 Likes

Yes… or Roddenberry on a different timeline referred to the USS Caine. The Kelvin Timeline continues to mess with things.

4 Likes

2 Likes

This reminds me of LARP Trek… where the TNG characters role play as DS9 characters… he writes Riker as beyond horndog…

The first one is below, so you can start there…

5 Likes

Just watched SNW s2e4. Found it very poignant, possibly because someone in my partner’s family has dementia, and the contrast of smart people with access to great technology still being limited by very human frailty struck close to home. Some good character beats were M’Benga not jumping into the fight between La’an and the guard, but realizing he IS a doctor as soon as she was hurt. Also “I fly the ship!” is a cool mantra. Capt Batel’s “Difficult is not the same as impossible” is a very quintessentially Star Fleet captain thing to say. Felt like there were real stakes involved, really good story on the nature of personality and identity.

2 Likes

11 Likes

10 Likes

I like the no-prize level of explanation that because Lorca is from the Mirror Universe, he idolises Musk and Stamets didn’t say anything because Lorca is being intimidating.

5 Likes

Surprised it hasn’t been edited out by now.

3 Likes

They did more than hint at it. I think it was in Spock Amok that she and Lt. Ortegas were talking about her love life (both while waiting for Dr. M’Benga and in the restaurant/bar) and she specifically referred to both specific men and women among her previous lovers.

5 Likes

Maybe there’s a descendant of Musk who’s famous for good reasons?

2 Likes

Any of those will have already changed their name and run as far away as possible from his influence.

4 Likes

Didn’t have much to say about SNW last week even though I enjoyed it. This week was really interesting though. Can’t really say much without spoilers, so…

Dropping Roger Korby’s name at the start really feels like they’re setting Chapel up to meet him and leave the ship like I was speculating a couple of weeks ago. And they’re pushing full steam into a complicated relationship between her and Spock now. It was very impressive how the episode went from very funny to very serious. The comedy of manners segment was amazing and I love the niche that Vulcans have found themselves in between DS9, Enterprise and now here where they’re sorta pricks. It definitely feels like Vulcans are constantly testing and probing each other as an offshoot of how tightly they control their emotions and that doesn’t play well with other races. All that said T’Pring’s mum is horrible. There’s some good physical comedy as well, the bit when Chapel made Uhura and Ortegas turn around got a good laugh out of me… while I watched the episode on the bus…

And then the dramatic turn at the end was well-earned. T’Pring is absolutely in the right to be angry with Spock and her decision to spend time apart is wholly understandable. It also makes Spock to be a bit of a shit for immediately hooking up with Chapel

5 Likes

I don’t know about that. I also noticed the Korby name drop, so it makes sense that’s foreshadowing Chapel’s next long-term relationship. Maybe this break between Spock and T’Pring is when Stonn enters the picture, like they mutually agreed to see other people. :woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes