QAPLA': General Star Trek thread... for all your Trekin' needs

Ethan Peck is the Spock we need…and deserve. I think he’s my favorite Spock now

2 Likes

Go Season 2 GIF by Paramount+

7 Likes

Season 4 Break GIF by Friends

3 Likes

It is possible that T’Pring and Spock came to some sort of agreement about monogamy during their break or that it’s perfectly normal in Vulcan society, but that’s the sort of thing they should put in the show (and for all I know, the first lines next week will address it), but for now at least it’s not putting him in the best light. And that’s fine - I prefer characters who aren’t entirely pure of heart.

And I… may have gone through a similar moral dilemma in my early years and don’t necessarily think 21 year-old me handled it the best and see a lot of what I did in Spock’s actions here, so there is a personal connection here. I am still with the Nurse Chapel of that particular relationship 25 years later though

Stonn is already around, he was working with T’Pring in series 1, played by Roderick McNeil in The Serene Squall. So they’re setting up both sides of the relationship breakdown. And I really hope they keep T’Pring as a guest, Gia Sandhu has been a delight in the role

4 Likes

Are they making a purposeful effort these days to make Vulcans come across as jerks? It seems like a pushback to fans who have held (their) logic and reasoning over all other things like they’re all that matters.

2 Likes

I think if they were amiable logic machines, there’d be less conflict and humor, so having the default being a bit prickly makes them a better story/drama energy source. Also, being smarter, stronger, faster tougher than humans, they need some weaknesses to prevent them from being the constant central focus in an ensemble cast.

2 Likes

It dates back to DS9 at least, the Vulcan captain in the baseball episode is quite antagonistic towards Sisko. Enterprise plays on that more with the Vulcans being very paternalistic towards humans and then in Star Trek (2009) there’s a lot of outright hostility in Spock’s childhood - between him being bullied in school and the head of the Vulcan Science Academy refers to his heritage as a handicap.

4 Likes

You can find that in Enterprise, too (which came on after DS9, of course, but really leaned into that idea even more). The Vulcans very much look down on humans and aren’t convinced that they are ready for interstellar travel.

5 Likes

One of the key parts of Spock’s personality is that fellow Vulcans were kinda jerks to him about his human ancestry as seen in the animated episode Yesteryear (the best epsiode of that series)

4 Likes

Yeah, apparently the thing about Vulcans finding the smell of humans distasteful came from Enterprise - or at least Jessie Gender had a clip about it from Enterprise in her review of this week’s episode

3 Likes

We should try Humi. The lotion deodorant made especially for hoo-mans.

4 Likes

Season 3 Episode 6 GIF by Paramount+

8 Likes

Semi QAPLA related. LeVar Burton being his awesome self.

11 Likes
6 Likes

7 Likes

I was thinking about this, as inflexibility around food is fairly common, and ability to empathize is often lacking in people with autism. My daughter definitely has a sense of humor, but occasionally, when I’ve made a joke that doesn’t land, she will say “Daddy made a joke”, as though she is aware the logical parameters of my communication is best described as a “joke”. I’ll ask her if it’s funny, and she will say “no” in her best Vulcan manner.

5 Likes

I’m going to gently suggest that the ability to empathize in the specific way that neuro-typical people recognize the concept is the actual issue.

Autistic people have empathy, and emotions, and all that. They just manifest differently.

6 Likes

She might be just be calling it a dad joke.

5 Likes

4 Likes

OMG, time for the Star Trek hallmark X-mas ornaments!!!

https://www.hallmark.com/search?q=star+trek+christmas+ornaments&oq=star+trek+

SPOT!!!

TNG Scotty!!!

shut up and take my money GIF by Product Hunt

Oh, shit… also!

3 Likes