QAPLA': General Star Trek thread... for all your Trekin' needs

And Badgey!

He’s thin enough to go on the apartment door with a magnet or double stick tape.

3 Likes

That one too!!!

Season 1 Badgey GIF by Paramount+

5 Likes

Fun fact: He will tear your heart out!

2 Likes

10 Likes

I enjoyed the episode, but I am also annoyed. And undecided. And amused. And worried. And hungry.

In all comedic remedy, and with all touching seriousness the actors managed to pull off: it is still an episode which makes being different a kind of a laugh. Having to struggle with your emotions, and being overwhelmed by them, is something people on different spectra experience. The nod to puberty was a bit weak. Also, hypo & okthen.gif? Come on, I think that’s kind of weak. The references to the program the interdimensional Kharkovians were served were also a bit weak. I fail to see a plausible reason to speak to them as if they weren’t able to understand the concept of a self-aware, intelligent inter-species hybrid being. They basically re-engineered his complete ontogenesis, and all you do is talk to them like to someone who doesn’t understand genetics, developmental biology, and psychology, psychiatry as well as neurobiology? Weird.

I shall now take my dried frog pills, close this tab and go to bed.

1 Like

NEXT WEEK:

5 Likes

7 Likes

SNW will feature a musical episode this year:

Lower Decks is back on September 7th, trailer at this link:

5-minute preview clip of DISCO series 5

And to celebrate TAS’ 50th anniversary, there’s going to be 4 animated shorts in the show’s style, focusing on Riker, Saru, Neelix and Quark

5 Likes

This week’s episode of SNW was a rare miss for me, because the actions of the crew didn’t make sense for most of it. Who takes a patient they know is experiencing hallucinations out of sick bay to chase after another patient? Uhura herself suggests being confined to quarters, and Pike doesn’t think that’s necessary?!? Kirk should’ve said something, because she assaulted him before that, but having her run around alone with a phaser is apparently fine. :roll_eyes:

After M’Benga is sidelined, the next diagnostic step is to sit in a conference room and ask the patient what they think is the problem? I guess they had to leave Nurse Chapel playing chess with Spock in the bar. :woman_shrugging:t4: Given how impaired the last patient became, no one even suggested a follow-up scan for Uhura when she informed them the solution was destroying a refinery. Just asking her if she’s sure is good enough for Pike, the same captain who didn’t take her word for it when she insisted there was a problem earlier in the episode. So, what suddenly made him believe her, Kirk nodding behind her? :angry:

Finally, that whole interaction between the first officer and the chief engineer at the end seemed weird, too. Maybe it’s because I don’t recall chummy interactions between Una and Hemmer. Given the whole grief theme it would’ve made more sense for Pella to give her speech about seeing someone new in the position to Uhura - right after she asked why Uhura never talks to her. I guess it’s also time for me to figure out what timeline/universe/reality is going on here to determine when George Kirk Sr. died. :weary:

6 Likes

Apparently Those Old Scientists goes live in about a half hour.

3 Likes

Overall it was a great episode, I quite enjoyed it too. But they did something they often do that bugs me to no end. When they are sent out to work they are beating on rocks with sledgehammers for no immediately apparent end. Worse though, is that they also have huge logs that apparently need to be sawed yet from previous shots it’s obvious that there isn’t a speck of vegetation for miles around. It just seems lazy.

3 Likes

Yeah, it was an odd episode. Good sci-fi concept, bad execution.

The ending really bothered me. They blow up a whole refinery and act like all they can expect is a slap on the wrist? All this based on hallucinations an ensign is having, talking about alien life she can’t even prove exists? I guess they’ll use the two brain scans as proof. That’s all Sam really has to go on when writing his paper.

I get that they really wanted to give Uhura an episode. She deserves better.

6 Likes

True.

It could be busy work, and the next day the guards are having them glue the rocks and logs back together.

1 Like

Some more concrete evidence, and further communications with the aliens would have made their actions better justified.

3 Likes

I broadly agree with the criticisms on episode 6. I felt it was gearing up to be more of a mindbender episode when Uhura hallucinates and attacks Kirk, like the TNG episodes Frame of Mind or Eye of the Beholder, but it was very straightforward and never really lived up to the potential.

But episode 7 was such fun! The plot wasn’t for much but having the animated segments at the start and end was really cute, you can actually see the pin-up poster with Una on it in Boimler’s locker at the start, and it’s very impressive how much the animators work to match the actors’ likenesses and body language but also how much Jack Quaid and Tawny Newsome do little things in the episode that their animated versions do too. So many of the jokes got big laughs out of me, I think the whole “do you think their references are oddly specific” and “Have you noticed how everyone in the past speaks slowly? And so quiet?” got me the most

5 Likes

I liked the conversation between Una and Mariner, on how “pin-up” had a sketchy historical meaning that was completely lost on Mariner

5 Likes

Paramount+ have confirmed SNW will not be skipping a week as a result of episode 7 being aired early, the schedule is now:

• Thursday, July 27 – Episode 208, “Under the Cloak of War”
  • Thursday, August 3 – Episode 209, “Subspace Rhapsody”
  • Thursday, August 10 – Episode 210 (Season Finale), “Hegemony”
5 Likes

8 Likes

It never hurts, every once in awhile, to just try “computer end program”.

3 Likes

My mom has been a Star Trek fan ever since the original series. We watched reruns of TOS while I was growing up and TNG was family TV time. Since then, she’s only watched the TNG films and the reboot (which might have just been a Chris Pine thing because she unexpectedly watched D&D, too) until Picard started. Now she’s hooked on Strange New Worlds, which has made for something new to talk about when we see each other once a month.

That’s a lot of background to say that I’m curious to hear my mom’s thoughts about the crossover episode because she knows Star Trek, will get their references, but she hasn’t touched Lower Decks or shown any interest at all in it. I’m similarly curious about anyone who comes across the episode without knowing what they’re getting into, but I’m much more likely to get a good conversation out of my mother than many of those people.

6 Likes