QAPLA': General Star Trek thread... for all your Trekin' needs

So, the musical episode of SNW: I liked it!

I felt the songs were a bit generic, very standard musical but they worked well in terms of the character arcs and the whole cast gave it socks and I really appreciate that they were all game. My favourite songs were probably Chapel’s one and Spock’s reprise, partially because they tied in the most to the ongoing arcs and worked well to show the sides of their characters that aren’t always explicitly being talked about - Chapel’s desire to progress in her career and Spock’s insecurity respectively.

Also some nice continuity nods between Una mentioning her love of Gilbert and Sullivan from short Treks, another nod to Roger Korby, and Kirk talking about his relationship with Carol Marcus and her being pregnant with David.

And… dancing starships!

5 Likes

My brother has always disliked musicals, because for whatever reason, even though he enjoys scifi and fantasy, he found the suspension of disbelief needed in musicals to be too jarring. “I just don’t get why all of a sudden they break into song”
I sent him the first song, “Apologies”, told him it reminded me of his viewpoint, and he said “Every musical should start with that”

2 Likes

I think the album of the musical episode is currently on every popular music streaming service now.

3 Likes

Prodigy series 2 preview:

3 Likes

It exists, in a different timeline. The link doesn’t have the opera, but it may someday be revealed.

7 Likes
3 Likes

Well, that was a series finale!

I think it’s the first TO BE CONTINUED finale since Voyager? I haven’t watched much Enterprise but my understanding is that they tended to do a 2-part finale instead of finale cliffhanger/resolution in episode 1. Anyway, it was a very effective one.

Lots of good moments in here, like Scotty showing up, the idea of using the Cayuga’s remains to take out the jammer, a bunch of good action setpieces, and they managed to not fridge Captain Batel! (And by Bob, if they do it in series 3 I will be angry)

6 Likes

I assume there’s some connection Pike will make that explains the Gorn, that will allow him to see them as something beyond monsters, though it’s a tough sell after they used his partner as a food source for their young. Scott showing up was a lot of fun, as was Pelia’s response to him. I liked the way they showed the Enterprise being attacked at the end, there’s a sense that the ship is huge and powerful, but the shot coming into the bridge from the outside showed it as filled with small fragile people being shaken about. A better representation of danger than just having sparks shoot out of consoles and everyone pretending to be thrown about. It’s going to be a long wait till next season.

10 Likes

Yeah, I’m at the point where I cringe whenever any happy ST couple starts making plans on-screen, just waiting for the other shoe to drop. I was expecting her to wind up in the transporter buffer or something. I’m also very concerned about the away team and Cayuga survivors in the hands of the Gorn. :grimacing:

One of these years, we’ll finally see seat-belts on those chairs! :wink:

8 Likes
3 Likes

Well, that’s fucked up…

6 Likes

Another video similar to this one, about Eddington and whether he’s a “good guy”…

6 Likes
7 Likes

Interesting. One of the comments in this video questions what happened to the Cardassian settlers who stayed on the side of the federation wall. Did they become citizens of the Federation? Did they remain members of the Cardassian Union? Have they become stateless?

2 Likes

It’s a good question! I’m guessing they either stayed or they were more likely to move when their government tells them to - since Cardassian culture is shown to be highly authoritarian, I think the assumption is that they’re less likely to rebel. Plus, as Garak shows us, there is a lot less of a problem for Cardassians living under the Federation.

Shives also notes that part of the strategy by the Cardassians is trying to get the former federation citizens to leave these now Cardassian planets by arming new Cardassian settlers and setting them on the former Federation… but the Federation most likely wouldn’t do that to any Cardassian settlers.

2 Likes

from

This is now canon. Worf can shred.

7 Likes

Ha!

Seems fair.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t hammered strings be more like a piano or dulcimer?

7 Likes

Which actor are they referencing?

5 Likes

WheatonPicard

6 Likes