QAPLA': General Star Trek thread... for all your Trekin' needs

After finishing the Strange New Worlds finale, my wife found herself inspired to watch Star Trek from beginning to end. That means all of it, from TOS to everything in the present day. And it’s been experiencing things beside her.

Last week we watched the TOS movies together. Most of these films were frequently watched in my household when I was younger. Turns out that wasn’t the case for her despite her having also grown up with a Star Trek parent. She didn’t know that the TNG theme was from The Motion Picture, and she was also unaware that the punk’s showing up in Picard was a call-back. It’s been great. And, honestly, I wish I could be watching them for the first time as well.

Having finished the films, we find ourselves differing from the common shorthand for recommendations that the odd films are bad and the even ones are good. I think most of the films are enjoyable but middling at best, but she honestly finds The Search for Spock and The Final Frontier to be fairly good – and probably better than The Voyage Home because that one basically saw no consequences for the crew’s actions. Stealing whales from the past absolves them of their crimes. Then Kirk gets demoted to his preferred position. The movie is funny but meaningless.

For me, I just end up so disappointed with the original film. Not just because it’s bad. It’s disappointing because it clearly has the most interesting scifi concept of the entire series and botched the execution so badly that they just didn’t bother with that level of ambition again. I really wish they could have another crack at it. I’ll have to watch the director’s cut sometime, but I doubt that comes close to what could have been.

5 Likes

I was stoned when I saw it in the theater way back when. I rather enjoyed it! :wink:

4 Likes

Hmmm, Lower Decks series 3 is no longer available in Ireland. This bodes ill for me legally watching the show…

2 Likes
6 Likes

Two new episodes today!

Scared Season 2 GIF by Paramount+

5 Likes

Those new episodes were great! To include so many Voyager callbacks, based on one of my most-hated episodes, was brilliant. It was wonderful to see the post-episode debates included, too. I had to pause a few times to get my laughing under control. Oh, I’m gonna rewatch that one a lot. :rofl:

Also, Death by Moopsy is my new band name.
[Squeaky voice] Aw, what a cute wittle killer! :hugs: [/Squeaky voice]

5 Likes

I’ve only just met the Moopsy, but if anything happened to it I’d kill myself and all of you.

4 Likes

I love how the episode addressed the ethical issues heads-on and then immediately sidestepped them.

3 Likes

from

9 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

4 Likes

I don’t care how anyone else feels about it, I would love a Star Trek movie done in the ZAZ style.

3 Likes

Anytime Lower Decks does a reference to giant mudskippers from Voyager, fun ensues

3 Likes

People are already trying to find out how to get one. I might wind up doing this if nothing shows up online in the next few weeks:

merry christmas GIF by Boomerang Official

3 Likes
7 Likes

Leaves out the three main black characters in Lower Decks: Captain Freeman, Ensigns Mariner and Rutherford. :cry:

5 Likes

Yep… I noticed that too… the people in the comments noticed, too.

5 Likes

Retired co-star of 1986 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home to be disembowelled, disposed of

2 Likes

I get the joke, but co-star wasn’t available for the movie. Their double was used instead.

1 Like