QAPLA': General Star Trek thread... for all your Trekin' needs

I rewatched series 1 not too long ago and it looks like the cat was out of the bag way back then. When Mirror Georgiou sees Saru for the first time after arriving on Discovery she turns to Burnham and says something about how they dined on threat ganglia not long ago. There’s a bit later in the episode where Saru challenges her on lying to him about not seeing any Kelpians but they never talk explicitly about her eating one.

2 Likes

the one thing i find baffling is why they don’t simply destroy the macguffin. don’t want anybody else winning? it’s really the easiest answer. also somewhat flummoxed that a trained starfleet crew is slower at figuring out clues than two random couriers. and that the spoor drive is suddenly trackable!?

beyond not believing the plot, i do like the show and its characters.

3 Likes

Eh I chalk it up to the silly need for a season long arc. Also the Federation’s curiosity about what the McGuffin Tech represents.

4 Likes

Burnham: Saru there is something I want to get off my chest.
Saru: What is it?
Burnham: Back in the Mirror Universe, I ate Kelpian.
Saru: I am sure you didn’t mean to. From what I heard, Georgiou tricked you into it
Burnham: I know. But that wasn’t the worst thing of it.
Saru: What do you mean?
Burnham: You guys are delicious!

3 Likes

12 Likes

3 Likes
7 Likes

I’d consider adding Reginald Barclay to the list of long-suffering characters. He had major social anxiety issues before the bridge crew walked in to his humiliating holographic sex fantasy session, and his tenure of the Enterprise really only got more awkward from there.

Dr. Crusher: He transformed into a spider… and now he’s had a disease named after him.

Counselor Troi: I think I’d better clear my calendar for the next few weeks.

9 Likes

I’m glad he mentions Worf. That dude has been through a lot.

8 Likes

On a related subject, did anyone ever hold Dr. Bashir accountable for erasing Kurn’s memory without the patient’s knowledge or consent just because Worf felt bad about his brother having to live with the dishonor he brought to the House of Mogh?

That seemed… legally and ethically dicey.

3 Likes

7 Likes

FYI!!!

6 Likes

I’m a little disappointed that they didn’t film at the Spaced-Out Library. (Officially the Merril Collection of Science Fiction, Speculation & Fantasy.)

5 Likes

i was surprised there were so many books in that library. and, of course, that all the books were square :smiley_cat:

bsg2_sm

1 Like

Casting news from the Star Fleet Academy series… Holly Hunter is going to be in it!

raising arizona GIF

10 Likes

I heard that the reason all the books in the Battlestar Galactica reboot were shaped like that started as an in-joke about the production crew cutting corners to save money.

9 Likes

“I need a starship!”

(Love me some Holly Hunter! :grin:)

6 Likes

Maybe Paramount should just bite the bullet instead and give us the triple-Kirk, multiple timeline movie that is probably the only way to rescue this aching franchise, before Shatner himself finally fuses with the Borg and is no longer available.

sisko-facepalm

On the other hand, maybe it really is time to leave the Kirk era behind and see if Star Trek can flourish without constantly telling the same story over and over again like the filmic equivalent of a particularly wonky Möbius strip.

ds9-kira-what

And while there are those who will tell you that the much-missed Leonard Nimoy’s wonderfully taciturn Spock was the real reason Star Trek is still going after the best part of seven decades, it is hard to imagine anyone who really loves this preposterously long-running space saga not doing so because of some kind of secret crush (guilty or not) on this most brilliantly pompous and swaggering of screen presences.

ds9-obrien-shitting-me

How much you want to bet the author is “concerned” about new trek being “too woke.” :roll_eyes:

8 Likes
7 Likes

How clueless does one have to be to pitch a big-budget “multiverse” movie as if that would be a fresh new idea in 2024? If watching Michael Keaton don the cowl again wasn’t enough to get audiences into theaters for The Flash then I doubt watching Grandpa Shatner get back in the Captain’s chair decades after his character was unceremoniously killed on screen would do much for Star Trek.

Besides, how could any multiverse movie top Raccacoony?

9 Likes