QAPLA': General Star Trek thread... for all your Trekin' needs

giphy

7 Likes

These alien vermin were seeping into the bowels of the people and the Federation, they were exposed and nobody said anything more about it.

Perhaps their agent will be able to arrange a cameo in upcoming episodes of Picard.

4 Likes

Red Alert! Picard spoilers and shitty opinions ahead!

Season 2 Captain GIF by Paramount+

I’m liking this captain more and more. He doesn’t buy the exploits of Picard and friends and He has reasons to feel that way. I liked the bar scene, where He exposes His trauma and throw everything He has held back for years in Picard’s face. I just didn’t like that the way the scene painted him as an asshole (He even called himself an asshole), but even the great Sisko wasn’t a huge Picard fan for exactly the same reason.

6 Likes

12 Likes

She’s not just for dancing.

14 Likes

My problem with it is The Orville did nearly the same exact speech last year. Where the new navigator character explains her overwhelming hatred of HornyDataTraitor, Isaac.

1 Like

The spoiler tags, they are gone…

2 Likes

Sorry Mistake GIF

2 Likes

Now they can say it, but they were too reticent 30 years ago.

8 Likes

Andrew Robinson has said that he portrayed the character as gay from the inception. And it shows.

But hell yes - representation matters. Clunky social metaphors should have been left behind in TOS.

9 Likes

The section in What We Left Behind where they talk about Garak is very honest about the show’s record on LGBT rep, and they acknowledge that they could have done better.

4 Likes

Star Trek: Picard can be as frustrating as it is satisfying sometimes, it seems the writers don’t fully know the history of TNG and i’m not entirely keen on all this forced conflict between characters that have been through far worse than getting stuck in a space womb thing. Anyway, once that was all done with i did enjoy them working together to do a bit of classic Trek problem solving. Captain Shaw has also been a really nice surprise of expectation subverted, and his recounting of his traumatic experience at the Battle of Wolf 359 was nailed by the actor.

6 Likes

Spoilers, of course.

4 Likes

At least they aren´t the guys from Catspaw.

4 Likes

Yeah, I found it amusing that they created this adventure with Picard and Jack (senior) to contrast against their predicament and When Picard and the Crushers were trying to convince Riker of their escape plan they didn’t bring up the time they were trapped in that energy-dampening minefield and Picard got the ship out with manoeuvring thrusters when it was as relevant as the shuttle story. But at the same time they can’t spend like five minutes saying “it’s like that time” every time something similar happens because that would make for a boring episode…

5 Likes

Caution. Picard spoilers and silly questions ahead.

[spoiler]As we saw last season, the Borg are now good people, allies of the federation, and besides, the Borg Queen is Dr. Jurati, friend of Picard. Why did they have to just steal a cheap ship, without armaments and whose captain can’t stand to be next to Picard and Riker, when they could have asked the Queen for a cube or any other Borg polyhedron?

6 Likes

There’s basically two Borg factions now - the original ones from the Delta Quadrant, and the new co-operative one the merged Jurati/Confederation Universe Queen formed in the 2020s of the Prime universe. For all we know they only have the one ship guarding that anomaly from the end of series 2.

5 Likes

Picard spoilers, spoilers everywhere…

game of thrones spoilers GIF

Oh. I assumed they changed the nature of the Borgs. So, the good ones are stuck, sitting in front of that anomaly. What a waste of characters,.

6 Likes

It’d be hilarious if they brought in the Borg origin from the novels, where they’re the survivors of the crew of the NX-02 Columbia, having been catapulted back in time and then merged with a race of energy beings. So both Borg factions would be formed by humans from the future…

3 Likes

They were kinda cute. Like they were made from leftovers from a seafood platter

2 Likes