Racist trolls moot using "google" as a euphemism for the n-word

I’d just call 'em Yahoos. Then both the people in on the joke and not can get it

11 Likes

My timing may have been off

4 Likes

It is! It’s the big laugh line from Our American Cousin that Booth used to cover the sound of his gunshot with.

4 Likes

My best friend is a pisser! He calls me that all the time!

4 Likes
11 Likes

I’m sick and tired of these Ask Jeeves taking good American jobs.

7 Likes

Those AltaVistas really give me the AskJeeves, with their Infoseek-loving ways.

And don’t even get me started on the Myspacers.

8 Likes

I’m not apologizing for hate speech, but when I use a search engine I want it to present me with an accurate picture of the world, not skew my perceptions by omitting information that might offend me. I don’t have a problem with Google using this algorithm to clean up YouTube comments, but the web itself is supposed to be an open platform, and Google is its de facto gatekeeper.

By controlling what we see in our feeds, and therefore how we perceive the world, corporations like Google have enormous (and dangerously subtle) power that, if abused, would be every bit as damaging as official censorship. 90% of the country might (optimistically) find hate speech offensive, but there was a time when 90% of the country thought (or at least pretended to think) that homosexuals were dangerous perverts. I’m not comfortable having my speech, or what information is available to me, constrained by what offends 90% of the country.

There’s also the practical question of how well an algorithm can actually distinguish hate speech from other forms of content. For example, does Huck Finn get demoted because of Twain’s copious use of the n-word? What of historical documents, or hip-hop lyrics? I’d much rather wade through pages and pages of material that’s irrelevant and distasteful to me than miss out on valuable information because it looks offensive to an AI.

Yes, it’s horrible that web users are having racism shoved in their faces, but we need to confront the fact that the world is an ugly place filled with people who would love to see you dead for how you look or what you believe. At least if it’s out in the open, we can see what we’re dealing with.

3 Likes

Yeah, funny thing that; criminalize means to make something illegal.

Derogatory slurs themselves are not illegal; it’s the circumstances of how they are used which could be construed as hate crime - such as spray painting the word ‘kike’ on a synagogue.

2 Likes

Luckily for me…”

3 Likes

4 Likes

Consider the source some of the dumbest people on the internet.

1 Like

TL;DR: :cry: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah I’ll get fired if I say bigoted shit at work waaaaaaaaaah :cry:

5 Likes

2 Likes

Fair point.

Watch your language!

3 Likes

To be fair: this is how natural language is developed.

1 Like

Obligatory:

17 Likes

I was thinking “Dogpile” is what we call Trump’s version of the Gish Gallop.

2 Likes

I’m just so, so glad someone has finally knuckled down and worked on the problem of it being too hard to use the word “nigger” on the internet.

2 Likes