Rapper cashes in on conspiracy theories with clothing line

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/06/26/rapper-cashes-in-on-conspiracy-theories-with-clothing-line.html

6 Likes

Let’s just say she flies like paper, gets high like planes.

10 Likes

Free advertising or does she actually think that people will buy her crap?

8 Likes

People support trump, so yes somebody will buy her junk.

10 Likes
7 Likes

I wonder if any of this will actually be effective enough to cause people to start complaining about their cellular reception while using it?

I suspect that it will be spared by its own unfitness for purpose(with protection from ‘nanoparticles’ even less likely: if you want that you are talking to the deeply unpleasant and serious side of Team PPE); but if they do manage to actually get a faraday cage working it will be hilarious when people start complaining that all that 5G protection is totally ruining their cell signal.

If phone behavior is anything like it was in The Before Times the “Data Protection Dump Bag” could be particularly entertaining: older handsets tended to assume that inability to reach the tower was probably a problem that could be resolved by screaming louder; so putting them in RF-isolating storage without shutting them down, or at least putting them into actually-not-lying airplane mode would commonly cause them to drain their batteries in short order as they cranked up the RF and screamed desperately to be heard.

5 Likes

This is all performance art, right? Does M.I.A. really believe in all of this? Or is she like all of the other conspirituality grifters, seeking to cash in on the growing conspiracy theory market?

It doesn’t matter. The market of idiots exists and unless she says it’s a gag then she’s serving that market.

11 Likes

Bored Will And Grace GIF by Cameo

Of course, @timd Lydon was talking about himself in that infamous moment, not the audience… Or rather, both, but mostly himself…

10 Likes

This is all performance art, right? Does M.I.A. really believe in all of this? Or is she like all of the other conspirituality grifters, seeking to cash in on the growing conspiracy theory market

Both Is Good The Road To El Dorado GIF

9 Likes

She seems to have lost her shit in recent years and cozied up to a number of right-wing figures and views, so any performance art going on is on top of her actual beliefs.

8 Likes

That’s genuinely disappointing.

11 Likes

All they want to do is … … …
and take your money

An non-M.I.A. version if anyone wants one

8 Likes

agreed. and even if she confesses the gag, people will then buy it ironically. so any way you look at it, it sucks.

2 Likes

i fear you’re right.

2 Likes

Common sense is now M.I.A.

OMFG.

Moving on…

1 Like

M.I.A. is not a rapper though. I have never seen her referred to as a rapper. Sounds like chatgpt was involved in this “article”.

If ChatGPT called her a rapper, it would be because it saw thousands of references to her as a rapper throughout the internet.

4 Likes

On one hand, I have no problem with grifters taking money from conspiracy theorists, but having seen that the rapper in question is M.I.A., I too am disappointed. She was already on a slippery slope with her anti-vax shit and I can’t really take her seriously as an artist now.

She’s had an interesting life and I’d say the documentary Matangi/Maya/M.I.A. is worth watching but it feels like something’s changed.

2 Likes

has made her name in music melding pop and hip-hop

On Thursday (Feb. 8), the “Paper Planes” rhymer

:woman_shrugging:

FFS…

Having shitty politics doesn’t call into question the type of music people make. We wouldn’t stop calling Kanye West a rapper just because he’s got some fucked up views…

3 Likes

Honestly I used to like her music a lot. She was always in an alternative rap scene to the US. She tried breaking into pop and got cancelled for the middle finger thing. But she let that turn her into something bitter and sad. Now her music makes me think of a bitter sad person so I don’t listen to it.

People like this think they are still being cancelled but really they’re just making sure they are surrounded with nothing but toxic enablers and grifters. Christ, what an asshole.

3 Likes