Rapture believer demands return of $1,000 tips at Florida taco restaurant

… perhaps they meant each of us will be raptured 144,000 times — and that’s how we know how many levels of purgatory there are :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Time to start some really fervent prayers for her generosity to be returned thricefold, I guess. And post-haste.

2 Likes

all tips roll forward to the next rapture

2 Likes

Sounds like a Chuck Norris joke.

1 Like

Does that plus, fries all home drives, melts all backups, flushes stash down toilet, lays off all hench staff (with generous severance and 2 years healthcare), salts earth of garden…

6 Likes
8 Likes

I’ve actually had an idea for a story in which the Rapture happens, only it turns out all the gods are real and since nobody believes in all of them, nobody gets to go to (non-denominational) Heaven. The armies of Hell then invade, but they’ve spend thousands of years training with whips and pitchforks while humans developed tanks and fighter jets, so it’s not much of a battle.

This is all setup for a video game in which you possess demons to fight for you, Pokémon style. I tried to think of a setting where you could do something like that without the animal cruelty aspect.

5 Likes

That’s Shin Megami Tensei and its spin-offs, like Persona.

2 Likes

God is one of the end bosses

3 Likes

Aside from the pettiness of trying to claw back the tips, I can only assume that the huge tips were making her feel really, really good about what a good, good, selfless deed she had done right before rapture. She had been soaking up that feeling of being so damn righteous and holy for having flung her money at the little people. It was really going to earn her that golden toilet in her McMansion in heaven.

I’d hate to believe in some God that could be tricked by earning brownie points by doing good deeds that won’t actually matter to either the woman or the waiters because they’re all going to be dead in a couple days.

3 Likes

That isn’t how the Rapture works. Not that I ever believed it did, I was an Anglican and am now an atheist.

We aren’t supposed to die, we’re supposed to stay behind and suffer.

And it wouldn’t be the donations that damn her (she could have done that at any time), but the attempt to take the money back after the Rapture never happened.

7 Likes

You were raptured hun; this is just what you deserve.

8 Likes

I liked this line from the Etymology section

Linguist, Dr. Douglas Hamp, notes that Greek scholar Spiros Zodhiates lists harpagēsometha as the first-person plural future passive indicative of the Greek stem, harpagē (har-pag-ay),[14] “the act of plundering, plunder, spoil.”

Now when the door-knockers ask me if I know about the rapture, I can confidently explain "why yes, it derives from the first-person plural future passive indicative of the Greek stem, harpagē ,the act of plundering, plunder, spoil.”

13 Likes

wait, not only that workers in the us serving business depend on tips cause the wages are shit, they have to pay tax on those tips?!? seriously?!?

2 Likes

Heck, people getting unemployment assistance from the government have to pay taxes on what they receive. After all, it is income.

4 Likes

So let me see now … when you didn’t get Raptured the way you thought you would be, you went and lied to try to get your money back? Maybe there’s a reason you didn’t get Raptured, Karen …

2 Likes

It’s a little sad that you have to think you’re being Raptured to live as Christ commanded. Even sadder when it turns out you’re wrong, and want to undo your good works.

4 Likes

What the woman really should do is sue the people who made her so convinced there was a Rapture coming. Maybe there’s some way she could tax deduct the $1000 in tips that way also.

even better, the employer gets to take the first part of your tips. :confused:

via

What Is a Tip Credit?

Tip credits allow an employer to credit a portion of an employee’s tips toward the employer’s obligation to pay minimum wage. Tip credits are not deducted from employees’ pay; instead, if permitted to take a tip credit, employers may claim a certain amount of gratuities the employer receives against their minimum wage requirement

it’s 3 dollars an hour in florida.

8 Likes