Read Comey's statement: Trump said, 'I need loyalty. I expect loyalty,' then awkward silence

I agree, and there’s another group of people to consider: the ones who didn’t vote in 2016 because they couldn’t be bothered, or they didn’t like either candidate? What if a sizable number of those people vote against the GOP in 2018? What if a large group of them decide the Orange Menace is too dangerous and Something Must Be Done?

6 Likes

Wow, that prepared statement reads like he’s being set up for Trump’s post-presidential Art Of The Deal sequel:

The President and I had dinner on Friday, January 27 at 6:30 pm in the Green Room at the White House. He had called me at lunchtime that day and invited me to dinner that night, saying he was going to invite my whole family, but decided to have just me this time, with the whole family coming the next time. It was unclear from the conversation who else would be at the dinner, although I assumed there would be others.

It turned out to be just the two of us, seated at a small oval table in the center of the Green Room. Two Navy stewards waited on us, only entering the room to serve food and drinks.

The President began by asking me whether I wanted to stay on as FBI Director, which I found strange because he had already told me twice in earlier conversations that he hoped I would stay, and I had assured him that I intended to. He said that lots of people wanted my job and, given the abuse I had taken during the previous year, he would understand if I wanted to walk away.

My instincts told me that the one-on-one setting, and the pretense that this was our first discussion about my position, meant the dinner was, at least in part, an effort to have me ask for my job and create some sort of patronage relationship. That concerned me greatly, given the FBI’s traditionally independent status in the executive branch.

7 Likes

Why does that sound like a threat?

6 Likes

It is only awkward if you avoid your own thoughts.

I assume they are releasing the transcript a day ahead of time so Trump has time to tweet about something crazy before the hearings

3 Likes

More:

DC, where politics is the professional sport.

7 Likes

Comey is Fredo Corleone.

2 Likes

It would be a brilliant move to only release a partial transcript to bait the Prez into saying something counterfactual before tomorrow.

3 Likes

Because his family might lose their appetite?

Interesting insight:

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I think of.

You broke my heart, Comey. We had that thing!

4 Likes

Don’t be so sure. There are some subtleties to it which will have an impact in very specific places.

Impeach this criminal yesterday!

Politlcally speaking, this is about 2018. The next year and a half is about making every GOP congresscritter complacent in Trump’s shenanigans, and kicking them out of office for it.

If you can’t kick them out of office for it, it’s sound and fury signifying nothing and the literal nazis have won.

The Russia thing is one of the few things that seem to be able to move the needle a bit. That and his twitter rants, apparently. But if no GOP senators lose their seats over this, it’s not enough. Hate trumps love, at this point, among voters in America.

So the testimony is about saying: “You kind of care about this, so we are going to make damn sure news about Russia and Trump dominates the news cycle for the next 18 months if at all possible, and this is part of that circus.”

4 Likes

I think you mean complicit.

3 Likes

So Don the Con’s explicit focus on the hookers dredged up some commentary on twitter that turned up this older article. Before reading it I thought the pissing hookers was most likely a joke. Now, I think its probably close to the truth. Who would have guessed that Perez Hilton would be the one to break a politically relevant story?

Allegations By Former Miss Hungary Contradict Trump Claims On Dossier | HuffPost

2 Likes

Playing Who Wrote it — Comey’s statement or Kazuo Ishiguro in The Remains of the Day?

6 Likes

And after that too, from litigations due to several cases of lethal alcohol poisoning.

I also found that part very interesting. Initially, I thought, come on Comey, you can’t just stick that in a parenthetical like it’s no matter. You don’t want to suggest any way in which the firing could be justified, as some kind of response to his not being straight with the president. But later he says that Trump followed up, and he had acted on the request anyway by passing it along to Boente, and he tries to explain that that’s where the request properly has to go. It overrides the other concern, to my mind.

1 Like

“Because I have been very loyal to you, very loyal; we had that thing you know.”
Jesus, the guy thinks he’s Michael Corleone… The Dumbfather…

6 Likes