Reminder: don't put balls of tea-leaves in your vagina

I hate the word “tisane” as well.

4 Likes

Tisane hasn’t meant barley water since the 1600s, so it’s perfectly well-defined in modern English. :slight_smile:

What I wonder is if “herbal tea” had an everyday general name in English before “tea” got imported and then generalized to include it. Sure, they are infusions and decoctions, but did normal people call them that? Maybe they didn’t use a category name, but referred to specific drinks instead?

As for “tisane”, it got re-imported from French in the 1800s to cover the category, but by then I believe the extended meaning of “tea” had already been around for a bit.

1 Like

Surely not by native speakers of late middle english, however.

Hey, it’s like genmaicha, but with a random name which doesn’t help me to find it!

Who can say? Welcome to everywhen!

2 Likes

Funny you ask, because that is entirely up to you.

2 Likes

It was only a somewhat chili reception. I am sure they think they will make a mint off the forum traffic.

3 Likes

Lick my gar, Basil.

11 Likes

!!!

5 Likes

Ouch. And just when I was going to invite you for a drive in my Cayenne. You will rue the day you clove my heart in two.

8 Likes

If it worked and if you reuse your tea bags it could take the place of both!

1 Like

Pro tip: use in the correct order.

3 Likes

Hey, at least you have one person who agrees :slightly_smiling:

Tea is Camellia sinensis, and nothing else. Don’t try to pass off your rooibos bark as “tea”. Crap, don’t even try to feed me your chamomile “tea”. It’s not. And don’t add any horrible fake flavors to it either. No peach vanilla tea unless there are actual peach and vanilla bits in it.

(rant about tea purity off)…

8 Likes

I’m going to bet that you’re vastly underestimating the doubt defying power of belief that exists amongst a lot of woo-practicing holistic folks. I’ve had to bite my tongue before in company that included more than one of them talking about natural crystal healing, then the conversation spiraled out of control to include psychic pet communication and various mystical and pseudomedical powers of common plants. There’s almost a drive to be absolutely non-critical when in this crowd. If they’ve got info (of course total BS) that the other doesn’t have, then they’re more knowledgeable and their woo rank goes up. So, I wouldn’t doubt that at the basis of this there may indeed be some poor deluded woman who thinks that tea pessaries are an absolutely fantastic idea.

4 Likes

I agree entirely. I don’t understand people’s fascination with referring to other plants as “tea”. How would it not be more clear to simply call their stuff rooibos, or chamomile? If I put water in cereal instead of milk, I guess I could call that “tea” as well. Aiiieeee!

1 Like

It seemed like sage advice.

1 Like

I almost used it in speech once, but then balked when I realized, at that critical moment, that I just wanted to enjoy a cup of herbal tea with a friend and catch up on his life rather than waste our first five minutes together on the semantics of aqueous infusions of plant matter.

4 Likes

I’ve totally been doing the off the cuff late stage capitalism thing for a while, so yes, I agree with you. :wink:

1 Like

My edible wild plants books makes a distinction when it talks about usage in terms of tea and coffee.

“Can be brewed as a tea”, “Can be roast and ground, and brewed as a coffee”

1 Like

Gar are neat. We don’t get those beasts this far north, but their smaller brethren. Still very cool looking fish, quite the devil to catch with rod and reel.

1 Like