Remote tribes react to polar bears, traditional English folk dance, and nursing homes

I’ve wanted to get into Pratchett but he has so many books i haven’t known where to even start. I know some books can stand alone by themselves even if they’re part of a series, but being unfamiliar with his work is all a mystery to me beyond Good Omens.

My parents were missionaries to the Belgian Congo in the late 1940s. When they tried to tell the locals that when water gets very cold, it turns hard, the locals laughed at them and called them crazy white people. I guess it goes to show that just because you don’t know about something, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

There’s a number of standalones, as well as some that have the usual cast of characters but can be started without prior knowledge.
@kingannoy’s suggestion of Going Postal is one of the latter. (And if you saw the Sky production, well, the book’s better.)

As to the standalones:
If you like gentle mocking of organized religions, try @GulliverFoyle’s recommendation, Small Gods.
If you’re into Egyptology or mathematics, try Pyramids.
If you like soldiers or scrappy young feminists, there’s Monstrous Regiment.
If you love the Blues Brothers movie as much as me? Soul Music

Just never start with The Color of Magic, unless it’s 1983. (And don’t get me started on the movie!)

Yeah, I know, this is all off-topic but I can’t help it when it’s one of my favorite tangents. :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

I started with the City Watch series myself, but really there are lots of paths to make your way into Ankh-Morpork and most of them are worth the journey.

1 Like

Well i did ask, and frankly good literature is worth the trip off topic

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.