Reports of shots fired at downtown Dallas rally

I’ve heard that sort of testimony from witnesses before.

I’ve heard that testimony too — except for the lol.

1 Like

I understand that vigilance is always required.

I don’t recall that I’ve ever encountered a single responsible gun owner in or out of court (or detained or serving time) who didn’t talk this way. Not one, in more than 20 years.

If we visited one or more in prison, I bet they’re still saying it. They think they’re responsible — good guys. And maybe they are.

ETA new law helpful for future risk reduction, esp. because the Dallas shooter had gender-based violence in his record.

Decided by SCOTUS last month, Voisine v. United States established that a reckless domestic assault qualifies as a “misdemeanor crime of domestic violence” that prohibits firearms possession by convicted felons under 18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9).

2 Likes

3 more days of this . . .

4 Likes

Why would anyone want to detain me? My whole family are scrupulously law abiding people. We only associate with law abiding people.

2 Likes

I love that film. We have Beethoven’s 7th on our playlist in the shop, and I always think of The Fall. And I have been fortunate enough to visit several of the locations for the filming. Namibia is my favorite place in Africa, by far.

1 Like

This is a productive conversation, so let’s keep it going.

Most people happy with a bag of Lipton in their mug would look at my tea ware collection and ask: Why? What’s so complicated about steeping some leaves in hot water that you feel you need all this stuff?

To them, a teapot has one function that—and this is the critical part—is sufficiently fulfilled by any design. If it can hold a liter of water off the boil, strain the tea (if using loose-leaf) and pour nicely into a cup, it’s a teapot.

Present them with any kind of tea and you’ll get a response based on this straightforward conclusion. Oh, you have a special green tea from Japan that can only be brewed at or below 72°C? Great, you can brew it at that temperature in the same teapot. Got a 2010 sheng that’s finally mature? Great. Brew it in the same teapot. FFS, this isn’t complicated. Why on earth do you ‘tea enthusiasts’ insist on needing more than one teapot?

I can answer this question but that’s not the reason I’m writing this.

My point—which you probably saw galloping from about a mile away—is that most people unfamiliar with guns ask the same equivalent question of gun enthusiasts: why so many guns? Isn’t the sole function of a gun to shoot a bullet? Why can’t you just be happy with a nice hunting rifle? You can still shoot cans off the fence with that even if you don’t plan on hunting, right? And so on.

So when you write ‘many different types for different uses’, I can only think of tea pots. What I’d like to understand is what that means, in native terms, when it comes to guns.

[EDIT: Following @SlyBevel’s excellent suggestion, please hold your comments until I’ve created a thread to continue the conversation. Should be just a few minutes. — 20:30EST] Done!

2 Likes

I do think it would be best as a Linked Topic.

Could be a useful thread for referring to later, and shouldn’t auto-close.

6 Likes

Excellent idea!

3 Likes

I see what you did there.

1 Like

I was about to reply with meh better than the usual back and forth on gunzors, but yeah that discussion should continue more than the few days of this thread.

1 Like

For me, it is about touching history. World history, and family history. Plus, We restore leather holsters, many from WW1. They mail me the holsters, and they are best conserved or repaired when one has the correct gun to fit it. I can almost always go to the vault and pull out the correct pistol, if it was manufactured between about 1896 to 1945. And with rifles, My WW1 collection started with a wickedly long french bayonet. An 1886 Lebel, which came from an auction-
So I started researching it, and found a rifle and all the accessories to go with it. Over the years I have found better examples of both the bayonet and the rifle. And I found a german sawback bayonet from WW1, and accessorized that with rifles, gear, and helmets as well. It seemed logical to add other countries to the WW1 wall. And there is a WW2 wall as well. I could show you how the development of new technologies, and wartime shortages influenced changes in design. For Germany and Japan, I have examples of deterioration in quality and manufacture in the last months and days of the war. Many if them are associated with particular battles or persons, and some bear burns, blood stains, or bullet and shrapnel damage. That is what I collect, and I buy mostly from Veterans or their families. I learned from my Dad to always have the guns appraised by at least two reliable persons, then offer more than either, if I am interested in the item. Because I do this, word spreads, and I get a lot of calls from old ladies.
I don’t have any clue why someone would collect a bunch of ar-15s. I have one, and it belongs to my son, who redesigned and manufactured several of the key components for his Senior High project. I have purchased exactly one new gun in my life, which was a pistol to keep on our sailboat, 25 years ago.

2 Likes

[quote=“Mister44, post:279, topic:81122”]
Only if you include suicides, which is purposeful, conscious action and a completely different issue than gun crime or accidents.
[/quote]No, you purposely chose to include all accidental deaths by falling to prove a point about murders performed by a gun. Anyone looking at guns as a public health issue would include suicide rates because they matter a lot to the discussion.

You don’t get to neatly carve away your case by lumping a broad category of deaths in a comparison to gun violence - you might as well compare cancer or heart disease to gun violence in your nonsense quote. It’s especially misleading since more people die from guns than from falling, but it doesn’t fit the delicate dressing up of your argument.

5 Likes

This is a great post. Please consider re-sharing this comment as part of what (I hope) will be a much more productive conversation on firearms and weapons collecting:

2 Likes

Yeah but comics and teapots don’t kill people when used in their correct manner.

9 Likes

I really appreciate the compliment. I suspect that many will not be as understanding. But I don’t get beanie babies. Stamps never did much for me, either. My Mom collected 19th century Japanese bronzes. I now have those, have learned the history of them, and am unable to resist buying every decent example I come across and can afford. When I read and watched “The Orchid Thief”, I instantly connected with Mr. Laroche. I hope that I am not so obsessive, but I get the attraction to collecting, and getting deep into the minutia of history. And it intersects with the family business. Probably the biggest compliment I have ever received was getting a call from a man who wanted a Mclellan saddle, documented to the seventh cavalry, restored. He had been referred to me by the Smithsonian Museum. Which is insane.

6 Likes

I’m not sure.

Do you know if anyone else in your jurisdiction ever felt unfairly targeted or blamed just because they stockpiled guns and ammo at their residence?

So many people — even the ones with mental health impairments — think they’re the responsible exception to the rule, even after something awful happens — often to a kid or bystander.

4 Likes

I actually do not know anyone who has had any sort of legal problems associated with guns, or who have had any sort of accidental or negligent discharge of firearms. I have one neighbor who averted a home invasion with a gun, but did not need to fire it. It is not unusual for an elderly person to become concerned at the mental state of their spouse, and decide it was time to remove the guns from the home. When my Father-in-law had health problems, we were asked to move the guns to our house, which seemed sensible. I expect that if I live long enough for senility to kick in, the vault keys will end up disappearing some day.
I am not sure that stockpiling is not a loaded term, so to speak. I have a huge amount of ammo. It is not getting any cheaper, so it has seemed sensible over the years to buy in bulk when the price is right. Plus, we enjoy target shooting. And we use lots of different and obscure types of ammo. Is that stockpiling?

“Brothers”. This is such a strange and I’m not sure healthy attitude. The fraternal order of police. I mean, all men should be my brothers, and all women my sisters. The people I work with are my colleagues

6 Likes

I don’t know anything about the social bonding among police forces but in the military, those within a single fireteam informally refer to each other as ‘brother’ not as slang because they are that close to one another, both in terms of interdependence and each member’s willingness to sacrifice himself for the good of the team.