Reports of shots fired at downtown Dallas rally

Maybe you guys could use a little John Farnham:

“We’re all someone’s daughter
We’re all someone’s son
How long can we look at each other
Down the barrel of a gun?”

2 Likes

NRA divided over gun death of Philando Castile

The NRA is facing internal division as its members argue that the group did not do enough to defend gun owners’ rights by speaking out on behalf of Philando Castile of Falcon Heights, Minn., who was shot to death during a traffic stop.

Castile had a valid permit to carry a gun. He also reportedly informed the officer who shot him that he was armed in an attempt to head off a misunderstanding.

Still, Castile was killed by police, prompting outrage that following the rules was not enough to save him from a violent death.

6 Likes

Heh, high five right back at you.

It’s even more fun when your dad’s side is primarily germanic (with corresponding last name), but you look Very Asian… You’d think WWII had been yesterday with all the “Axis powers” jokes flung my way.

3 Likes

huh. trigger. i get it. there really was no pun intended there…

Possibly?

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/move-to-nz/new-zealand-visa

1 Like

This use of the word zombie has been out there for years, rampantly used by white supremacist survivalists who hate BLM (both versions! see how clever I be!).

So, even if you’ve never ever ever encountered the word used like this before, now is your chance to get woke to the ugly racist strain of survivalists in America.

But surely, Max White, it’s your life and your banal decision whether to teach your children to be survivalists instead of humanitarians.

4 Likes

Five layers of cream filling, of course.

It’s how the melting pot works. Fondue for everyone!

For the same reason car manufacturers offer different colors. But why? They all drive the same.

1 Like

I’m guessing folks would tell us it sounds less funny when an ATF agent says it.

The same can be said of anyone here who keeps perpetuating the hamster wheel conversations ad nauseum… much to the annoyance of many others who do not share the same passions/obsessions.

Self awareness is still a fairly uncommon virtue, even amongst the highly intelligent.

9 Likes

Speaking of which…

The cop involved is quite likely to find himself looking for a new line of work in the near future. At the very least, he’s certainly blown his chance of ever being promoted.

3 Likes

You don’t know anything about my kids. My oldest is well on his way to becoming a trauma surgeon. My youngest has spent the whole summer doing charity work. By the time school starts, she will have completed her goal of building 60 computers to give to kids interested in programming and robotics in our schools, but who cannot afford to buy one. And she and a school friend are doing all the fundraising and work themselves.
We practice the skills we do because we live 10 miles from the nearest paved road, high in the mountains. We often have to do without power for weeks at a time. Nobody plows the roads in the winter, nobody collects the garbage, nobody supplies us with water. There is no fire department, and the State Police are probably elsewhere in the state. it would be incredibly short sighted for us to not keep food preserved and guns around. It was sort of fun to talk about the “zombie apocalypse” when we were trying to involve the kids in doing the sort of things that my parents and grandparents did as a matter of course. I have made my academic career of studying human history in the form of Industrial Archaeology. From my personal perspective, it is insane to discard 25,000 years of accumulated human knowledge about basic living skills because, these days, everything from food to hardware comes in little boxes ordered from the internet, or in little plastic packages from Walmart. We grow or raise the majority of the food we consume, and also supply our large extended family.
I am honestly pretty tired of being told that some committee somewhere has decided that this or that thing that we do or say is no longer acceptable. Zombies are not a euphemism that we use to refer to anyone except the actual living dead, which are a fictional thing. TV shows like “The Walking Dead” are not cleverly disguised racist propaganda.
We are not living in fear, either. Right now, my front door is unlocked, and several cars and four wheelers are out by the driveway, all with the keys in the ignition. There is no lock on our gate. We don’t even have curtains in our bedroom windows. What we do to “prep” means that we don’t have to worry about that category of thing. Plenty of oil for the lamps and preserved food just means that when the power goes out, nobody has to worry about that crap. We just get to read books before bed instead of watching a movie. Is your door locked?
I am sorry if I am ranting again. We had a nice dinner in Santa Fe, and I get home to this. Ugh.

2 Likes

It seems to me that you might be overreacting, just a tad.

There’s no reason that a mere opinion on the internet should in any way ‘ruin’ your night.

Some people do use zombies as an all purpose metaphor for being able to kill a perceived “enemy” on sight, at will with extreme prejudice, from Black folks to Middle Eastern peeps to Russians/Eastern Europeans.

If that state of mind doesn’t apply to you and yours; that’s groovy, but again, there’s an entire world outside of your personal existence.

There’s a reason why zombies have made such an overwhelming comeback in horror movies & tv over the last few decades; they symbolize a subconscious desire to kill without consequence.

Now all that being said, I am obliged to drop this off right here :arrow_down_small: , lest the tension in this thread start busting pipes needlessly…

10 Likes

I think the resurgence in disaster movies is not so much about racism, but about general uncertainty and lack of optimism. The same thing happened in the 70s.

2 Likes

I didn’t say disaster movies, that’s a whole other manifestation of subconscious fear.

I said zombies, specifically.

Now I do hope you continue to have a good evening, but I’m not about to engage in a game of goal-post tag.

5 Likes

If there were legal limits on ammunition ownership, I would be following them. There are not, at least for those of us who are not “justice involved”, so the whole concept of stockpiling is an emotional argument, without any sort of legal justification. The ATF does not care how much ammunition I have. If we had a Fire Marshall, I suppose that person would be concerned about proper storage, but we store all of our ammo in exactly the sort of locker that I use at work, which is approved by the USMC and other government entities.

1 Like

Ok, I follow you. I guess we should leave that one to the Psychologists.

1 Like

Good luck on that windmill, Quixote. I hear people say “Zombie apocalypse” all the time and it isn’t a coded reference to BLM or black folks. You do realize that there are at least two “Walking Dead” brand tv shows currently on television, right, and they’re both in multiple years of viewership. This is leaving aside the other three or four Zombie tv shows and the whole sub-genre of Science Fiction going back to when 28 Days Later was a big thing?

5 Likes

Or they symbolize other things, like people hating the current world and wanting to start over or their fears that the world is out of control and just going to destroy them or…or…or…

2 Likes