Republican candidate Greg Gianforte attacks reporter during interview (Updated: he's been charged with assault)

Let’s see, there was the reporter in WV that was arrested and the reporter at the FCC that was assaulted.

3 Likes

As opposed to me! I’m not rational…because I’ve got a lady brain!

13 Likes

Not sure where that’s coming from, but ok.

Hey! He won!

Congrats Montana, you are now the “Big Sigh” state.

12 Likes

Pretty much everyone else has gotten at least one like for their comments. So maybe there’s a difference of some sort…

2 Likes

My original comment, and the one after it, have at least one like as well.

None of that is important to me, however. I couldn’t care less about imaginary internet points.

###‘The Onion’ Invites Republican Candidate Greg Gianforte To Physically Assault Our Entire Editorial Staff

Given the important policies they oversee and the highly public nature of their work, it is to be expected that our government officials will at times come into conflict with the press, especially amid the tense political circumstances in which we now find ourselves. And it is not unusual for these tensions to reach an explosive flash point, as they did last night in Montana when Republican congressional candidate Greg Gianforte attacked a reporter from The Guardian for asking what was a shamefully antagonistic and prying question regarding the Republicans’ proposed healthcare bill.

In light of these events, our editorial board would like to state our unwavering support of Mr. Gianforte and invite him to physically assault every member of The Onion’s news staff.

‘The Onion’ Invites Republican Candidate Greg Gianforte To Physically Assault Our Entire Editorial Staff

12 Likes

And. He won. To the surprise of no one.

9 Likes

a lot of people are saying it was due to mail in ballots that couldn’t have been changed. Still on the bright side, the people that voted him will lose insurance and the social safety net along with the rest of us. They just won’t understand why it happened to them is all.

3 Likes

At this point. I’ve come to realize that I picked up a weapon and stood to post to defend the liberty and freedom of people who think the second amendment is more important than the first amendment.

It makes me want to vomit every single day.

8 Likes

They’re only 1/4 of the country. Most Americans are worth defending.

OTOH:

5 Likes

Thank you for serving and I hear you. On Twitter I have “I may not like what you say, but I’ll defend your right to say it” in my profile. Ever since 45 and the TGOP are showing their true colors, I rethink that sentence every damn day

3 Likes

It has always been the belief of this storied publication that elected officials and the press have important roles to play in our democracy: namely, that the former sets the policies that guide our nation, and the latter subserviently provides a mouthpiece to trumpet the will and intentions of the ruling class without question and without complaint. We here at The Onion are fully aware that our own reporters, like all members of the power-mad, out-of-control media, frequently overstep these sacred boundaries by scrutinizing the decisions and actions that those in mighty seats of authority, such as Mr. Gianforte, do not wish to discuss. And in such instances, it is important—imperative, even—that those who hold the reins of power put us in our place and punish us, preferably with considerable physical force, so that we never again commit such improper transgressions.

Holy shit, I don’t think I’ve ever seen The Onion be more Done with a capital DONE.

7 Likes

The people reading your posts aren’t imaginary. The “likes” they choose to give (or not) are one of only two ways on this forum (other than writing a direct response) to indicate the value they place on your ideas and comments.

14 Likes

And again, I’m not interested in how my ideas and comments make the few dozen or so people who participate in these comment threads feel. The emotional reaction you have to reading my views is unimportant to me . I’m not coming here to be ‘liked’, or to be popular with a small group (or a large group, or any group). I do find it somewhat interesting how people have reacted to misreading my views, but that’s another story.

That’s not to say I don’t care about feelings, or that I’m some kind of psychopath. I’m a human just like you. I just have no interest in discussing or exploring them here in this forum, or in the context of this story. I’m not interested in right or wrong, good or bad, or judging either side. If what Gianforte did falls under the category of assault under Montana law, the courts will decide that. You may think he’s an asshole and Jacobs is a good guy, or the other way around. That’s fine. I don’t care one way or the other.

What I am interested in is understanding the underlying reasons for why people do what they do, and act the way they act. On both sides. Primarily through a sociological and psychological, and most of all scientific lens. That means putting human opinions, biases, and feelings aside, and making observations, and trying to fit those observations into a larger rational framework.

None of my comments have been sexist or generalizing in any way. And if you read closely, I have intentionally chosen my words to not do that. But I can’t control how others react if they misinterpret my words and don’t seek clarification. I am not trying to justify or defend either side as being right or wrong, as I specifically do not care, and that is not what I personally find interesting (your opinion on that may differ, and that’s fine). I’m interested in rational discussion of the underlying mechanisms that caused both sides to act and react as they did, trying to see both sides’ understandings of the event, in as unemotional a way as possible.

I have a question. Do you have a community of people around you who share this way of looking at the world?

Or are you alone?

4 Likes

Self awareness is a trait not generally seen in Republicans.

3 Likes

I’m an electrical engineer. I’m surrounded by people who view the world this way, personally and professionally. (And yes, I even have a girlfriend, too).

Water seeks its own level.

[quote=“andybaldman, post:141, topic:101567”]
None of my comments have been sexist or generalizing in any way.
[/quote]Well that’s just untrue. Rationalize all you want, but you implied all men at a certain way and you implied @chgoliz was being irrational when you were simply being obtuse.

[quote=“andybaldman, post:144, topic:101567”]
I’m an electrical engineer. I’m surrounded by people who view the world this way, personally and professionally.
[/quote]So am I, and you are surrounded by what are colloquially known as “assholes.” I’m sure other engineers on here would back me up like @LearnedCoward. You are merely pretending to be using reason with the statements you are using by claiming to be removing emotion from the response.

13 Likes

Alright. Northern CA? Or no?

No offense, but I find your views really infuriating. But then again I also would love for you to tell me how to go about making a wall-source/battery switching circuit operating at about 19V, 6A. (Do I need to use one of those supervisory ICs? My design priorities are that I have limited board space and I need to use common components. And I need a circuit that I understand, so I can work on it.)

Since you don’t live in other people’s heads, I’m not sure if you’re going to perceive this as an attempt to just get you to shut up about the Gianforte thing, which is basically what it is. Although I do really help from an EE right now!

1 Like