Republican candidate Greg Gianforte attacks reporter during interview (Updated: he's been charged with assault)

That’s one way to look at it. I believe the news just needed something to fill 12 hours of its news cycle. Is it news because people are talking about it? Or are people talking about it because it’s news? Either way it will be forgotten by next week.

Also, I’m commenting to express my views, like everyone else here.

I look forward to hearing your views on grass (it’s green, right?) as well as your views on the unsurprising events of the day.

13 Likes

Maybe it’s news because it’s part of a growing pattern of pugilistic, authoritarian, anti-journalistic behavior coming from one of the country’s two major political parties. And perhaps it’s additionally newsworthy that a lot of people don’t seem to find it troubling that the party currently controlling both elected branches of government has a habit of assaulting reporters for doing their jobs and referring to the press as the “enemy of the people.”

14 Likes

I’m unusual in that I dont pick motive out of individual incidents and dont pretend to live in other people’s heads.

Although I will allow for the possibility that both cases you say are correct.

Maybe.

Or maybe two guys met and one got angry.

Great way to boil down systemic violence.

8 Likes

Yea, but that hairpiece was infuriating.

1 Like

“Dog bites man, why is this news?”

12 Likes

Unfortunately, teenagers growing up today won’t :frowning: .

Hard to stay optimistic about the future…

3 Likes

That’s all it is, really.

(Who are these throngs of other reporters who’ve been systemically physically assaulted?)

Males being males, eh?

1 Like

Sexist shit-talking like that?

If you were here I’d BODY SLAM you!

That on the other hand, was awesome. You get a like for that.

I’d say not exactly the same, as it wasn’t as much a display of dominance, as much as frustration, and possibly self-defense. (Was that her kid?) Hard to tell the context, but she said the reporter had been following her for 4 days. Who knows. But less common to see in public between females, and certainly more interesting. Thanks for posting.

Assault? Or battery?

1 Like

Yes! Bring it on.

(And there was nothing sexist in what I said. See comments above.)

I also love how the media keeps quoting the guy’s use of the term ‘body slam’. Anyone who grew up in the 80’s knows that’s not what that means. (Insert Inigo Montoya meme here.)

Also, ‘Gianforte’ is a great name for that guy, in this context.

6 Likes

Well maybe even if the thug does win the election he’ll spend the first six months of his term in jail. So he’ll get out about in time for the 2018 election to start revving up.

Oh right, he’s rich. He’ll pay the laughable $500 fine.

It sounds like standard operating procedure for todays breed of republican thug…They have nothing to offer but will hate your guts when you point it out. Such big boys…they have all the best thugs.

3 Likes
1 Like

So how about the local Sinclair owned stations refusing to report it happened at all?

1 Like