Republican candidate Greg Gianforte attacks reporter during interview (Updated: he's been charged with assault)

6 Likes

You’re just going to keep repeating that magic phrase over and over again, aren’t you, no matter what?

Sounds like a typical example of a male being a male.

4 Likes

It’s totally appropriate for this guy to face an assault charge.

Because it’s wrong to physically attack people for what they say, even if they disagree with you.

1 Like

Comicus: Stand-up philosopher. I coalesce the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension.
Dole Office Clerk: Oh, a bullshit artist!

2 Likes

A fascist takeover has seemed inevitable to me for a long time now. If these violent greedy men were able to fool enough of the people, for just barely enough time, they would keep the rest of ys laughing at them until it was no longer funny.

We are not out of the woods yet by any means- but I hope more “liberal” journalists are emboldened to keep this kind of focus on the issues.It seems the only recourse any more.

1 Like

As long as it’s a true observation, yes.

Try rebutting with reason. Personal attacks not necessary.

And now the story has dropped from Breitbart’s feed and frontpage. The pages are still there if you search, they just kicked some dirt over them.

1 Like

So, in other words, all you are apparently saying is that aggression is sometimes present in inter- and intra-species dialog involving humans, which is not a surprise to anyone.
Id est: You are either stating that these types of behaviors are an ever present and intrinsic part of masculinity, which comes across as the standard dismissal of “boys will be boys” and which is refuted by the examples presented above by @danimagoo and others (including several male interlocutors self-reporting a lack of said behaviour), or you are saying something absolutely unsurprising as you seem to claim in the above quotes.

7 Likes

Would you have been fine if it had read ‘jewish journalist’ instead?

4 Likes

Only if it magically also undoes the Trump presidency…

1 Like

It’s the latter, which is why this story is personally uninteresting as a news story to me.

I intentionally made no value judgments about the individuals in my original statement. I’m not justifying or defending either side. Just observing the behavior. Any values in resulting comments were projected by the commenters.

Thank you for being rational.

This thing you keep posting, either it’s victim blaming or else it’s off topic.

Either way, don’t repeat yourself.

7 Likes

If it had been Forward or Tablet or The Jewish Press, then yes.

Yes fine, and that’s how the Jewish Chronicle described it for example. But you’d be rightly annoyed if his campaign had worded it that way, and the same should go for airing their political prejudices (a lesser ‘crime’ than racial or religious prejudices perhaps, but still something politicians should be attempting to rise above, especially when dealing with the press or the public, dealing with political opponents is a different matter).

1 Like

I wouldnt actually.

why did you say ‘If it had been Forward or Tablet or The Jewish Press, then yes.’ - the implication being that if it was anyone else, you wouldn’t be?

In the same way I assume that a write for The Guardian is likely to hold a liberal viewpoint, I assume those three have Jewish reporters.

Politician: The press is certainly failing their job to create an informed electorate. I can say about damn near anything without real consequence.

Amateur: Something must be done about the press! I’m trying to say damn near anything without real consequence and they keep showing up!

1 Like

Do you believe the campaign had a motive in identifying the reporters that way? Or are you simply saying that they are factually correct?

Most of the people who are arguing against you are saying: “The campaign identified the reporter by his political affiliation as a way of diminishing and attacking his credibility to their base” do you agree that is the case?

9 Likes

It is interesting to a large number of people, which is why it has been featured as the top story on every major news organization during the last 24 hours.

If you don’t find it interesting, why are you commenting?

7 Likes