Republican candidate Greg Gianforte attacks reporter during interview (Updated: he's been charged with assault)

If someone doesn’t care to be asked annoying questions by the media then they shouldn’t run for public office. Pesky reporters are part of the package.

18 Likes

Take away a guy’s health insurance, then beat him up? I see the order of events here. That must be how to fight the war on the media.

2 Likes

I’m sure for a certain segment of our population, him punching a journalist is a plus that will get him more votes.

3 Likes

Or it could be two human beings, one of whom is a reporter whose publication has been digging up some very damaging facts, and the other is massively, physically over-reacting and snapping, unable to control himself, and takes out his aggression on the symbol of the publication. This is a bully beating up a nerd, just like in high school.

20 Likes

That’s a load of crap. My dad doesn’t act like this. My brother doesn’t act like this. My cousins and uncles don’t act like this. My grandfathers didn’t act like this. Most of the men I know and have ever known don’t act like this. Is it somewhat instinctive male behavior? I have no idea, I’m not a sociologist, psychologist, or anthropologist. I do know that “boys will be boys” is an attitude that excuses a lot of pathetic and criminal behavior, and it’s bullshit.

39 Likes

That’s a big if. He’ll probably win.

The big if is what the GOP will do. Spoiler: probably nothing

4 Likes

Yeah, no.

For this to be true it would’ve had to be an escalation of words by both parties, ultimately ending with one of them taking it to a psychical fight. This is not what happened at all. It was a fairly normal interview and only the politician flipped out and got aggressive.

Also gender surely played some role in his reaction but it says more about this particular politician than it says about all men. So saying this is typical male behavior doesn’t really make much sense. Wouldn’t be too different to saying all white guys behave this way, or that all Americans are crazy and aggressive.

12 Likes

The Breitbart post is about what you’d expect: Uses alleged every third word, forgets to mention that he’s been charged now. The comments … yeah that too.

6 Likes

Victim Blaming! A TGOP hallmark!!

Pretty much. People who can think know this is crap so it’s more about making the base feel good about choosing against their own self interest.

1 Like

Bad form is exactly what I mean. The fact that they gleefully jumped at the chance to point and scream “Liberal! Look, he was a liberal, see? See??” suggests that they’re taking this not as an unfortunate incident like they claim, but an opportunity.

3 Likes

In some individuals, not all. In some cultures, not all. In some species, not all.

It’s not inherent in all males.

You’re engaging in sexism here.

17 Likes

My judo coach would say, “It must be love, because he just fell for you.”

1 Like

I miss the days when crypto-fascists had to be a little more crypto and a lot less fascist.

8 Likes

The question of whether or not The Guardian is left-leaning is completely immaterial to the question of whether Gianforte attacked one of its reporters.

21 Likes

I’m sure it’s because they all have to be “beta cuck libtard snowflakes,” I mean that’s the only explanation. They couldn’t possibly be decent human beings.

12 Likes

And besides, the NYTimes (for example) has “conservative” writers. Just because someone works for a “liberal” paper doesn’t mean they’re going to cover the story from that perspective.

6 Likes

The Guardian has a pretty good reputation for reporting factual accounts of current events. In the minds of some people, that makes the Guardian a “left-leaning” news outlet. It seems we’ve reached a sad place in history where everyone needs to be reminded that facts don’t have political affiliations or opinions of their own.

19 Likes

Sounds exactly what a liberal would say!

3 Likes

Read carefully. I specifically said “how males of most species CAN act”. I chose that word intentionally.

Males in all species engage in confrontation and domination rituals. Not all males, but all species.

That is also aggression and dominance behavior.

Males being males.

I never said ‘all men beat each other up’ . See my previous words above.

However, every human will respond in some way, to varying degrees, if they feel engaged to do so.

You just did.