Republican congressman shoots selfie video in Auschwitz gas chamber

If you think Auschwitz is a cemetery then you need more learning.

9 Likes

So you are totally down with like Westboro Baptists Church picking Soldiers funerals with signs like “SOLDIERS DIE GOD LAUGHS”, “THANK GOD FOR DEAD SOLDIERS” AND “PRAY FOR MORE DEAD SOLDIERS” as long as their protest is accross the street and “legal”?

What is legal, just, or appropriate can be three different things.

I hope no one ever acts inappropriate towards people who are dead you care about.

19 Likes

The refugees on the SS St. Louis who were turned back from our shores and murdered by the Nazis have their own Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/events/1264826906947930/?ref=3&action_history=null

https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/the-tragedy-of-s-s-st-louis

Our refugee policy in the Immigration and Naturalization Act was meant specifically to prevent that kind of crap.

11 Likes

Because he advocates mass shooting instead! Gas chambers are too static and have a bad reputation. (I would put a sarcasm tag there, but I am not sure if I am kidding here or not).

4 Likes

The rules of social interaction are subtle and cannot be effectively and comprehensively written down. Ideas like decorum, honor, dignity, and respect are often abused but fundamentally exist for good, important reasons. They can and should sometimes be broken for other good, important reasons, and people can legitimately disagree on where all those boundaries are. Liberty demands that we are not subject to legal retaliation unless we break explicit written laws. But if you try to treat anything not written down as expressly forbidden as not just permitted but not to be criticized, then 1) this doesn’t lead to a very good world to live in, 2) it misses the point of where those rules come from in the first place, and 3) eventually you end up with such an unmanageable number of written rules no one can keep track of them all and everyone is doing something illegal at all times and you’re worse off than when you started.

https://xkcd.com/1499/

12 Likes

Silly, they don’t have to apologize anymore! Trump’s in charge! /s

7 Likes

You do know that the Iraqi Army took back Mosul this week, yeah? Not that this will deal with the refugee problem…

3 Likes

Boy, that purely hypothetical Democrat who ignored social norms and explicit written requests for respectful silence so he could shoot a selfie video in an Auschwitz gas chamber sure sounds like a jerk! Why isn’t everyone piling on HIM??

28 Likes

I was under the impression that @FFabian was referring to the US starting wars in Iraq etc., not ISIS.

3 Likes

Is @FFabian aware of Vietnam then? Or Afghanistan?

1 Like

I have no idea, and initially I read it the same way you did. Then I realized there could be another interpretation that seemed to me to make more sense, and decided to give @FFabian the benefit of the doubt.

3 Likes

"And that “this is why Homeland Security must be squared away, why our military must be invincible.”

I wonder if, by pure coincidence, he has some investments in HS and the military complex.

6 Likes

I guess it depends on what one means by “invincible army.” Does that it an army that can defeat any other uniformed army in battle during head-to-head combat? Or does it mean an army capable of achieving any military objective it is tasked with, including waging “war” against an ill-defined guerrilla element deeply embedded within a civilian population without causing an unacceptably high number of civilian casualties?

3 Likes

I think the congressman – not you – was being hyperbolic.

2 Likes

I can’t see that happening in these times: He’s riding the Trump/GOP okay-to-double-down-never-apologize train.

7 Likes

I apologize, either BB comment interface is THE best ever and I just don’t get it, or it is confusing and thus I’m confused trying to follow things.

Isn’t that part of the problem, that what we mean by war and victory have been redefined over the past 16 years (maybe even before that). Even back with gulf war 1 (or prior to that, Grenada, maybe), we’re not going against an army with similarities to ours, we’re going after ill-defined guerilla armies (as you note) or smaller national armies that just aren’t as well equipped and trained as ours.

So I don’t know, precisely what they means for victories.

8 Likes

Am I the only one thinking he was at Auschwitz looking to buy?

10 Likes

And Germans. (Though to be fair it’s only a small percentage who are complete and utter fucktards and the rest are quite decent.)

There’s the tricky bit.

1 Like