Republican leaders' support for Trump unwavering despite his boasts of groping women

i dont know if this is better or worse than him staying on the ticket. if he goes, a lot of folks whove been planning to grudgingly vote for clinton, or not voting at all – may well vote gop.

him bragging about assaulting women may just cost hillary the election.

4 Likes

not to derail this particular conversation, but maybe it’s closer to say: jim crow would continue.

17 Likes

I thought that Libertarians were more about personal freedom than about finance.

1 Like

Big-L Libertarians, perhaps, in practice in the US today. But “libertarian” and “fiscal conservative” are not automatically equivalent or even that necessarily closely related unless you pin down a lot of the fiscal conservative’s other ideas.

10 Likes

I would watch a loop of Farage being hurled into a volcano for a canny while, like.

12 Likes

It’s not productive to damn the future like that. Hundreds of years of slavery + Jim Crow got us into this mess, and I don’t think it’s unreasonable to guess that it will take another couple hundred years to unfuck the USA.

Just because we’re not going to get the radical progress I want in my lifetime doesn’t mean it will never happen.

Not to discount how grim things are in certain corners, but there has been progress. One hundred years ago, lynch mobs were a real, regular thing. Today, a significant portion of the population is angry that unarmed black men are getting shot by cops, and in some places they are pissed enough to riot over it.

How long will it take to get real reform? I can’t say, but I bet it will be a hell of a lot sooner if we stay engaged and keep demanding better from those who seek power.

10 Likes

…Republicans fall in line. Still.

Family values party… ha

6 Likes

That’s no good, they cleaned up all the anthrax.

Maybe move them here instead.

They all seem to like Putin, he can go and visit them sometimes.

7 Likes

Until now there has been nothing - not racism, not mysogeny, not even the nuclear jokes - that could make Republicans repudiate this man.

Well that was before, when there was still a chance he might win. Now, with his poll numbers in the toilet and not enough time to turn it around, this is the signal to finally jump ship rather than be taken down with him.

8 Likes

We’ll see, though I’m doubting it after he said this today:

8 Likes
8 Likes

Yep, the whole “as a father of x daughters” thing is infuriating. See also “as a husband/brother/uncle/any-man-who’s-ever-known-a-woman”. How about “as a human being who isn’t a misogynist arsehole”?

28 Likes

Trump’s tweeted a lot of things he later claimed to have never even thought (global warming is a Chinese hoax comes to mind) but, yeah, quitting still seems unlikely.

There’s no way quitting can benefit him and personal benefit is the biggest, and usually only, factor in all his decisions.

7 Likes

If only we could live in such a just and fair wold.

2 Likes

Take all your overgrown infants away somewhere, and build them a home. A little place of their own.

4 Likes

The way I figure it:

For the GOP leadership to disavow Trump at this stage would, in their eyes, be the ultimate admission of weakness for the party as a whole and their own guilt by association. Funny how that would work, but yes, I think they believe they’ll be damaged more that way than standing by him. Acknowledging their inability to put forward a viable candidate for the top office as a sign that they can’t actually be entrusted to run the country on the whole. Meanwhile, they just want to hold on in the hopes that they can keep as large a flock of voters together as possible, even if that does mean letting the outspoken basket of deplorable have the microphone. They figure Trump, if elected, will just play figurehead and use it to line his pockets but give them freedom to advance their main agenda for legislation and tipping the Supreme Court to conservatives. Even in one term they could probably get two judges up (given that they are still obstructing the Garland nomination, right?).

8 Likes

It’s noticeable when it doesn’t happen. Here’s McCain:

[quote] “No woman should ever be victimized by this kind of inappropriate behavior. He alone bears the burden of his conduct and alone should suffer the consequences.”

But Donald Trump’s behavior this week, concluding with the disclosure of his demeaning comments about women and his boasts about sexual assaults, make it impossible to continue to offer even conditional support for his candidacy. Cindy, with her strong background in human rights and respect for women fully agrees with me in this."[/quote]
Here’s Schwarzenegger:

I’m not praising them for this, just putting it for contrast with the “wives and daughters” crap.

Sen. Mark Kirk (R, IL) does get credit from for his turn of phrase: “DJT is a malignant clown - unprepared and unfit to be president of the United States.”

20 Likes

Yuck! This Corinthian Trump is the last straw.

Raise your hand if you think @beschizza should be forbidden to use any photo editing software until the end of this election cycle. Also, scissors and glue, just to be sure.

8 Likes

Where have you been, he’s a repeat offender.

Also, wasn’t it obvious his staff wrote the apology, then put it in his hand and pulled out a gun?

5 Likes

Yeah, but he’s pushing the limits. I’m scared of how creepy his production could get if we don’t stop him now. It’s also for his own good: I’m worried he’d end up even more mentally scarred than us.

2 Likes