Republican leaders' support for Trump unwavering despite his boasts of groping women

The interesting thing about those SNL clips is they show a Trump who has a sense of humor, who’s even willing to be the butt of a joke and poke fun at his own image.

I guess it’s easy to be self-deprecating and even charming as long as everyone’s sucking up to you.

5 Likes

and the ones that are un-endorsing are the ones in tight races most likely to lose

3 Likes

That was eggstemely disturbing.

4 Likes

As someone who never had any personal contact with him, I miss the rich buffoon character he used to play. He was easy to ignore. I thought about him once or twice per decade.

3 Likes

I never thought about him that much either and while it’s easy to laugh at the buffoonery it’s also sad to me to think that he was always this terrible person. Most of us just never saw it before. He was a racist and misogynist and an unethical, incompetent businessman who harmed or even destroyed a lot of lives. And he was allowed to get away with it at least in part because so many of us just saw this ridiculous character. The ones who knew what he was really like either didn’t have the money to call him out or were profiting from him.

Trump has said he hasn’t changed and it’s one of the few things he’s said that I believe. What’s changed is that in a political campaign he couldn’t control the message and he couldn’t change or hide from the facts like he could when he was a real estate developer and TV star.

3 Likes

It’s actually like a 50’s B Western - some saloon bar fight to be mayor.

Too much progress! Too much neatness! Let us mess it all up!

2 Likes

It’s been interesting hearing Dave Letterman reflect on all the times he had Trump on his show over the years:
“Donald Trump was a fixture on our show. He was a beloved guest – people got excited, I think it was the allure or the pose of being a millionaire, and the hair. I used to make fun of his hair. I used to refer to him as a slumlord. We got to love having Trumpy on because he could really take a punch."

But at some point Dave realized that he really was a slumlord, a terrible human, a racist douche, and as he puts it, a “badly damaged human being”. And when he realized that, Trump stopped being funny.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.