Republicans demand Democrats clean up their mess but offer nothing in return

Never in my lifetime did I imagine every single present Democrat would vote for its party leader for Speaker. 15 times in a row. That’s some discipline.

20 Likes

With some Gregory dancing in the video.

12 Likes

Jeffries gets enough Republican votes to be elected Speaker and they agree to change that rule to require more than 1 Representative to move to vacate the chair, to restore it to what it was prior to Kevin McCarthy making his Faustian bargain.

Otherwise what’s to prevent the Asshole Brigade (led by real-life impersonator of Dick Tracy villain Flattop Matt Gaetz) from simply moving to vacate the chair again immediately after Jeffries is elected?

14 Likes

This. There are surely some in split districts where the current actions will have a larger risk of not being reelected than supporting democrats and solving the current chaos. This isn’t even some self sacrifice for country thing then, simply enlightened self interest. This is a very small pool of people. They’re all already practically RINO and at risk of being primaried from the right.

This would be more of a self sacrifice. It would work just as well, but I’m not sure any of these people are still left. Didn’t most of them already retire?

5 Likes

It’s hard to imagine anyone wanting the gavel that badly without reversing what we should call the Gaetz Rule.

6 Likes

And yet the major news media will put up headlines “Biden/Democrats stand idle while government doesn’t function” or some such nonsense.

6 Likes

Jeffries said. “The only way out is to enter into an enlightened bipartisan coalition of the willing in order to get things back on track.”

ohhhhh, SNAP!

6 Likes

OK, for starters, stop calling me Shirley. Also, No doubt the Democrats are scurrying around trying to peel off a few Repubs to vote Jefferys as speaker.

But here are the reasons none of the “moderate” Repubs accepted the offer (pick one)

A) Polls show I’ll win my Biden district.

B) Yes I’m retiring in 2024 or 2026, but if I help the Dems, the Koch-funded think tank job I have lined up will dry up faster than than yo mama’s cooch.

C) Yes I’m retiring in 2024 or 2026, but if I help the Dems, I’ll be tossed out of the country club where I was planning to spend my retirement golfing.

D) Yes I’m retiring in 2024 or 2026, but if I help the Dems, the Trumpanzees in my district will be forever flinging poo at me.

E) I’m a dick and I don’t care about anything. Why do you think I ran for Congress in the first place?

F) All of the above.

“Enlightened self-interest”, indeed!

7 Likes

That feels a little insulting to witches.

Country Clubs may be the one issue that can be “both sides”.

D may be true no matter what. Any “wrong” statement ever could trigger it.

4 Likes

If by “poo” you mean death threats against the rep and their family, then that’s accurate.

13 Likes

Jeffries is handling this correctly. The Republicans need to come to him and beg him to help them out. They need to make the first offer. Now, I’m currently taking a class in Advanced Negotiation Skills in law school, and this runs counter to everything I’m being taught in that class, but I think this situation demands Jeffries digging in his heels and waiting for some Republicans to make the first move. The GOP made this mess. They need to fix it, or if they decide they absolutely cannot fix it on their own, they need to be the ones to make an offer to the Dems. And it needs to be a big offer.

18 Likes

… though it would be more realistic to offer somebody like Jared Golden as a compromise

2 Likes

point taken… apologies… just edited it.

5 Likes

ENLIGHTENED?!

Risible!

i think you’re missing the item for “we have the photos and so will everyone else if you vote for a dem”

6 Likes

(GOP talked down off ledge by Democrats)

GOP: “Good. Now we’re close enough to spit in your face and steal your money.”

13 Likes

It’s really rich how people like Kevin McCarthy are blaming Democrats for all of this. They are the minority party. And, I mean cmon, what did he expect? He’s done nothing but make enemies of Democrats over the past 10 months; breaking promises, lying, bullshit investigations, and opening the door for a Biden impeachment without any evidence of wrongdoing.

Did he think any democrats would try to save him? What kind of fantasy world is he living in where that would ever happen. He’s done nothing bipartisan. He’s done nothing to deserve any favors from any Democrats. Did he think because he was able to whip some D votes to prevent a government shutdown that he deserved anything? Get real. Besides, no Republican would ever vote to save a Democrat speaker has the roles been reversed. He got himself into this mess and it’s nobody’s fault but his own that he ended up getting kicked to the curb.

Fuck him and every other R in the House right now.

8 Likes

Also, enraging…

Mad Tommy Wiseau GIF by The Room

Harry Potter GIF

17 Likes

Huh.
[scratches head…]
[crickets]

How about bribable? Can I name 5 bribable republicans?

10 Likes

From 2016:

https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/democrats/2016/6/the-economy-under-democratic-vs-republican-presidents

It has often been suggested that Republicans are better at overseeing the economy than Democrats. However, an analysis of economic performance since World War II under Democratic versus Republican presidents shows that claims that Republicans are better at managing the economy are simply not true. While the reasons are neither fully understood nor completely attributable to policy choices, data show that the economy has performed much better during Democratic administrations. Economic growth, job creation and industrial production have all been stronger.

In fact, a recent paper by economists Alan Blinder and Mark Watson states: “The superiority of economic performance under Democrats rather than Republicans is nearly ubiquitous; it holds almost regardless of how you define success.” Fact-checking groups have investigated similar statements and have found time and time again that they are true. Moreover, past research shows that stock market returns are also higher under Democrats. …

So the Party of Personal Responsibility 'n Bootstrapping Oneself 'n Rugged Individualism is blame-shifting [and not blaming Their Own Bootstrapping Rugged Selves]?

shocked philip j fry GIF

ETA: grammar

15 Likes