Restaurant owner said his sign was too small to add "extremists" to "Muslims get out"

Sadly, I expect someone will soon set up an indiegogo for this arsehole, and he’ll make as much money as the homophobic pizza place did.

4 Likes

“Just The Bad Ones! You know the type. You should listen to this Chris Rock skit, it’s hilarious and so true!!!”

2 Likes

I really don’t think that place has halal food anyway.

5 Likes

many Muslims ignore religious food rules, exactly like many Christians

2 Likes

Christians don’t have religious food strictures, and, if they say that they do, they’re in violation of Jesus’ own instructions. [/irked Jew who grew up eating strict kosher]

4 Likes

so it’s like how you can keep a mormon from drinking all your beer when you go fishing? On the one hand good to know, on the other hand now I am disappointed, I am surprised at myself but I must not be as misanthropic as I like to believe because I had expected better :cry:

Actually, thinking about it is there a country breakdown on that? Around here there are a lot of halal butchers, so I supposed nearly everyone was following their dietary rules or how do those butchers stay in business.

2 Likes

discuss this with the pope, or, even better, with all the cafeterias in catholic regions offering fish only on friday

8 Likes

“only fish on fridays” versus “strict kosher and halal”

BWHAAHAHA! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Are you seriously comparing a religious tradition of “we only serve fish on friday” to a set of religious strictures that detail not only which foods are acceptable, but also how those foods are treated, processed, handled, cooked, and served? Heck, some Jewish families (my parents included) go to the extent of having two separate kitchens for meat and dairy! :laughing: I’m sorry, but the comparison is so very much apples and oranges in terms of scale of intrusiveness and omnipresence.

Anyway, as was noted, it’s highly unlikely that the guy offers halal food, and, yes, that’s a big deal for Muslims. Even if they’re not strictly observant, the average American restaurant is not going to be conducive to what they will be willing to eat–for example, if they serve pork at all, that’ll be almost certainly a no-no.

5 Likes

I will inform my (self-declared) Muslim acquaintances that they are wrong.

4 Likes

ok my wife’s Italian and I spend a lot of time in southern Italy. What cafeterias do you mean exactly??

anyway catholic eat fish on friday is not only on friday, it is on friday abstain from warmed blooded meat ( maybe they can eat snake, Trump should watch out)

2 Likes

OT but I understand there’s a loophole to that rule: a priest may eat meat on Fridays if he’s in a foreign country.

I learned that from a Canadian Jesuit priest who explained that’s why he could have a steak every Friday night. Everything outside of Vatican City, he said, is a “foreign country”.

14 Likes

Anecdote is not data. In general, the majority of Muslims observe some level of adherence to the strictures of halal. That is not to say that there are not individuals who ignore it, such as your acquaintances–heck, I’m Jewish and I don’t keep strict kosher anymore–but saying that any randomly selected Muslim is likely to not care about halal at all is patently absurd.

2 Likes

in South Germany (and maybe other areas) many cafeterias offer only fish and vegetarian dishes on friday, this is rationalised with some good friday connection (don’t ask me about details, mostly it sucks that all other days are guaranteed fish-free)

this is not exactly what I wrote

the most often named loophole is the redefinition of beaver as a fish. I don’t know if a drowned cow would be valid, too.

3 Likes

There seems to be some debate as to the meaning of Jesus’ (alleged) words in Mark 7. Whereas Jesus was quite clear about Mosaic Law in Matthew 5:18:

For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

Christians pick and chose rather liberally (and inconsistently) which parts of the Old Testament are still in effect.

8 Likes

Having been Muslim onceuponatime, I can tell you a lot of mass produced ice-cream is Halal. Not necessarily, but often enough. Halal is not as restrictive as Kosher.

5 Likes

Halal is easy enough that most Muslims adhere to it fairly rigidly, suspending it only to drink alcohol or smoke, if anything at all. That’s been my experience. I knew people who drank every weekend, but would gag at the thought of minute quantities of pork in their food. Naturally individuals being what they are, YMMV, but you’re right that hand-waving Halal as unimportant is absurd.

7 Likes

Not even Seventh Day Adventists? Or Mormons, at least in regard to chocolate, coffee, wine, etc.

8 Likes

you got me there, and I looked for data to support or destroy my experiences here.

a small study (“Muslim consuments in Germany: Knowledge and importance of the halal label”) (only 93 probants, but this was the best I could find without access to an uni bib) says that muslims in Germany have this buying behaviour when it comes to halal food: 11.7% never or rarely, 16% sometimes*, 43.6% occasionally*, 28.7% solely.

this correlates more or less with my experiences - one in four of my Muslim acquaintances are strict followers of the food restrictions, the rest ignore them more or less often

* weird word choice, I think “manchmal” and “gelegentlich” are more or less synonymous. I would except frequently instead of occasionally

2 Likes

#LOVE TRUMPS HATE

2 Likes

Meanwhile, for related reasons, the tattoo on his penis that says “WENDY” - only says “WENDY”…

2 Likes