Restaurant owner said his sign was too small to add "extremists" to "Muslims get out"

You’re being overly generous. On a good day it says WY.

1 Like

The homophobic pizza place was a little bit of a different story. They weren’t looking to make a statement, they were just interviewed by a local news team and said whatever random crap popped into their head.

2 Likes

His sign wasn’t Minnesota nice. It was a level of bluntness that’s completely out-of-place in the Midwest, with the possible exception of Indiana.

Since this was Minnesota, I expected the sign to say “Muslims, I’m sure there’s some place you’re welcome.”

7 Likes

Yes, his sign lacked passive aggressive, superficial politeness.

8 Likes

Hey!

I mean it’s totally accurate.

But hey!

7 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.
(I was going to write something about how if one is not careful to make sure that the likely reading of one’s words don’t match the intended meaning of one’s speech, one can really come across as a total asshole, but I didn’t have room this seemed more appropriate.)

1 Like

I went to college in Indiana. Indiana feels more like part of the South than the Midwest.

5 Likes

I tend to disagree on purely culinary grounds, but there was a time when 1 in 5 white Hoosiers were Klan members. (Or something alarmingly close to that number.)

6 Likes

Muslims get out the vote!

11 Likes

Oh, I hope so.

5 Likes

I included the reference to “Minnesota Nice” as a contrast — reality vs myth.

2 Likes

My experience is that it’s generally true, but not absolutely true. Plus, Minnesota Nice is more like sugar-coated nastiness than actual niceness.

2 Likes

Observed in Seattle, “observant” Muslim asking if the late night hotdog carts were halal only to get chewed out by the vendor for being drunk as a skunk at the time.

6 Likes

Similarly I wonder why everyone begs for “southern niceties”, the grass is always greener I guess.

Mark Twain called it out for enabling evil.

4 Likes

Yeah, he’s probably not the most observant Muslim in the world if he’s drunk, but if he wants a halal hot dog, Allah bless.

Because they’ve never been in the south long enough to see those niceties for what they really are?

1 Like

Nobody said anything about comparing, and more importantly, nobody said anything (until you did) about comparing scale. All that was said, or implied actually was that Christians (i.e. some christian faiths) have restrictions, based on religion, on what food is acceptable (usually only at certain times).

4 Likes

That’s a Jesuit for you.

5 Likes

4 Likes