Roe Overturned

12 Likes

So that petition in Michigan to get a constitutional amendment on the ballot this November appears to be going well. They currently have over the needed 425,000 signatures to get on the ballot. They’re still collecting signatures to get a comfortable cushion to be sure they pass the verification stage.

We went to sign the petition a few days ago. Three young adults in charge. Very pleasant nice kids. No protestors but they did say a priest came by to pray for them.

At least in Michigan it looks like this could happen making abortion and contraception forever legal.

Until they try some sort of national ban.

7 Likes

Indiana has a special session coming up in a few days, and we know what that means, but apparently this TEN YEAR OLD was able to get the medical care she needed in time. Ohio being worse than Indiana on human rights was not on my bingo card for this decade:

15 Likes

Sad Ben Affleck GIF

That poor baby.

13 Likes

rage GIF

9 Likes

… guess he should have thought of that during one of those several decades he was in the Senate

8 Likes

“… must ban abortion because all of society is a Ponzi scheme in danger of running out of marks”

5 Likes

Fetal personhood is the next stage on their war on women, so I would be leary of making that sort of argument.

If it means there would be consequences for men, they might actually think twice.

6 Likes

Good, but too fucking late. Conservatives are supposed to be reactionary, not liberals.

1 Like

Well, technically conservatives aren’t supposed to be reactionaries either. The fact that they are is a good indication that they might call themselves ‘conservative’ but they aren’t.

8 Likes

I doubt that it will work out that way.

This article, written years before Dobbs, talks about how under fetal personhood tends to undermine the personhood of the mother… “Policies and practices began treating the interests of pregnant people and the fetus as hostile and focused on protecting the rights of the latter.”

Despite the federal Pregnancy Discrimination Act in 1978, employers began routinely sidelining pregnant employees from various environmental or physical conditions at work, often invoking the need to protect the fetus, not the employee, and firing the ones who complained. Drug and alcohol programs excluded pregnant women while drug laws targeted suspect pregnant women, especially poor women of color, denying them treatment while charging them with harming their unborn children.

1 Like

I usually like a good semantic debate but I don’t really give a shit right now. I’m angry that it takes catastrophe to stir action from these mummies.

ETA: anger at them, not you

They are already pushing that disingenuous shit. I AM NOT A HUMAN BEING IN THEIR EYES, BUT AN INCUBATOR.

THEY DON’T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THE PERSONHOOD OF WOMEN…

10 Likes
8 Likes

13 Likes
14 Likes

In 1927, when Rosa, an Italian immigrant, became pregnant with her seventh child, one that would’ve further cemented the family’s poverty status, her sister convinced her to try something to end the pregnancy. “She made her a special drink, a combination of certain powerful herbs that would ‘take care of it,’” Turturro described. “My grandmother went into septic shock that evening, on fire from the poison burning inside.”

Rosa’s death resulted in five of the children—including Turturro’s mother—becoming orphans, and the sixth to pass away at age 4.

‘Pro-life’, in a nutshell. Who cares about the 6 living children? They don’t get to have rights.

14 Likes
7 Likes

It’s shameful that he’s doing this “under pressure”, considering the majority of Americans support free access to this medical procedure.

Under those circumstances I can’t say I have high hopes for what this executive order will actually accomplish, but we’ll see after the Friday afternoon news dump.

11 Likes