Roland Martin Somehow Restrains Self from Hitting Alt-Righter Richard Spencer

I don’t believe the claim is that there is any sort of racist conspiracy to keep Black players off the Pats roster. Rather, it’s that the teams are strangely appropriate in their symbolism relative to current US politics.

It’s really worth it to watch the take down, but also to note that they two men aren’t living in the same reality. Generally recognized facts about our fellow human beings just aren’t understood as such by Spencer.

4 Likes

I don’t think we’re impoverished around these parts… But black majority for sure. The cities median income is just above the national average in 2014:

BUT! We’re the leader in income inequality in 2015:

http://www.clatl.com/news/article/13082214/atlanta-once-again-the-nations-leader-in-income-inequality

So… much like some people’s relationship status… it’s complicated!

8 Likes

I know I should watch it for the benefit of learning how to argue with someone who isn’t living in reality, but then again, I wonder what the value of such an argument would be.

1 Like

This is not necessarily true-- if you google “patriots roster” and “falcons roster” they actually give you a lineup with photos, and it’s pretty close to 50/50 for each team if you scroll through the entire squad. It might appear that the Pats are “more white” because some of the star receivers are white and will get more screen time than their defensive line which is almost all black.

And both teams are owned by Jewish businessmen, so by his own ideology it doesn’t matter who Spencer roots for in the end.

3 Likes

It could get one that dubious feeling of “at least I tried”, although how much worth is that when the trier knows that the target audience just won’t care.

Complexity is good. :slight_smile:

According to Google, about one in four Atlanta residents are living below the poverty line.

1 Like

Spencer tries to put a positive spin on “We don’t need them, they need us” but it’s pretty obvious he’s calling other races parasites.

Martin should have just asked him if segregation was a good thing, or if it’s OK for whites and blacks to marry and have kids. And if he wiggles out of those ask him about how he has advocated a “white ethno-state” and what that might actually mean.

1 Like

That’s likely true, about the poverty rate. We’re going through a major round of gentrification, lots of buildings going up, much of which are luxury homes/condos or higher end apartments - and the south side is next on the list (especially around the belt line -which activists are trying to mitigate with ideas like land trusts). I’d say that the class divisions aren’t as strictly race-based as in other cities. We do and have long had a pretty prominent black middle and upper class (a fair amount of black small and medium business ownership in town, thanks to the historically black bank in town), so the black community has had class divisions for quite a while.

So yeah, poverty is a major issue and as the city becomes a more desirable place to live for young professionals, that’s going to increase. Next year, the current mayor bows out and hopefully we can get someone who is willing to curb gentrification and do something about the cost of living in town before things get to San Fran bad.

1 Like

I thought professional players are drafted and have to go wherever in the country they’ve been placed.

3 Likes

That reminds me of the time that the British National Party said they were supporting the Denmark football team because their squad was entirely white, unlike England’s.

I think it was during the 2002 World Cup, where England beat Denmark 3-0, knocking them out of the tournament.

4 Likes

6, now.

10 Likes

: On Wednesday, linebacker Dont’a Hightower said he wouldn’t attend

Best. American Football name. Ever.

6 Likes

Second best.

1 Like
1 Like

1 Like

But what about those of us who are lactose intolerant, huh? I mean, it’s only northern Europeans who have a majority likelihood of being able to digest the stuff. What about everyone else from other parts of…oh, yeah, never mind!

6 Likes

And where’d it come from? The Indy 500 or something?

(Reads article)

Oh. Something even sillier.

2 Likes

The map is more complicated than that.

4 Likes

Wow, imagine having to explain how you got kicked out of the KKK for too much farting…

4 Likes