Ron DeSantis poses as Christian but scrambled to find Amazon bible for photo op

You have to have people who actually care about you who are willing to help you out when you ask.

7 Likes

There’s a feeling of symmetry about Ronnie having his staff order a bible from a soulless merchandise delivery company.

5 Likes

Eh. The last bible I consulted was Bible Gateway. Used to answer “how would I translate this thing that sounds like it might be a biblical quote into a language for which a bible already exists?”

As an atheist who lost interest, I have lots of bibles, including weird ones–the Other Bible, the Five Gospels the Acts of Jesus, etc… I have lots of books. But I’m put in the position of asking how a catholic (a faith that IIRC, doesn’t value bible reading) might use the bible, I’m two or three levels removed from authentic understanding. Maybe real christians have a bible on their phone or on their Kindle. I don’t know. My Dad certainly had theological texts on his kindle.

Does it bother me that Ron DeSantis is an asshole? Hell yes. Does it bother me that he might not be a “real” christian? No. But he’s still an asshole.

1 Like

IANATheologian, but as I understand it, it will only burn him. Your Bible should come through it unscathed. At worst it will just have some light scorch marks in the shape of DeSantis’ hand that will make a great story for your grandchildren.

6 Likes

But the proof is in the pudding — or in the book receipt that was shared with NBC by his former staffers.
“…by his former staffers.” It seems his staff can’t/couldn’t stand him if they’re sharing his insincerity with news media.

8 Likes

I’ve got a couple. I used to keep one on the shelf next to Quotations from Chairman Mao, just to see which would be first to burst into flames. Alas, neither.

4 Likes

… AIUI it’s not scandalous for a Catholic not to own a Bible — it’s a church whose traditions don’t assume parishioners can even read — but if he put his hand on the wrong translation of the Bible :scream:

4 Likes

Yep, this definitely has a “last day of work, f*ck you very much” vibe.

5 Likes

King James is hardly Catholic, is it?

3 Likes

At the very least, you’d think a sadist like him would keep one for the gruesome stories of torture and cruelty in the book.

7 Likes

King James & Catholic?

He must be one of those Cafeteria Catholics.

7 Likes

You would think… I guess they aren’t even using the trappings, just the identity?

1 Like

:musical_note:
Ronny Buffoon checked into his room
but couldn’t find Gideon’s Bible
Ronny had fits walking with his shoe lifts
so he could match the height of his rivals.
:musical_note:

9 Likes

That pudding being all over his pudgy little fingers.

7 Likes

Ah, but DeSantis is trying to downplay his Catholicism to court Evangelicals. He wouldn’t want to be seen in a Catholic book store.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s why he just hands $50 in cash to an aide and tells them to go buy a Bible. There, or at a Barnes & Noble, or a local bookstore, or, hell, I assume they sell them at Walmart. I have no idea why they’d order one from Amazon. That’s just weird. That’s why I said he’s surrounded himself with idiots.

8 Likes

… a conservative Catholic should really have found himself a copy of the Vulgate, in Latin :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

Oh, I know. I just couldn’t pass up an opportunity to remark on how the guy is willing to jettison his deeply held beliefs for a few more votes.

2 Likes

The KJV is not Catholic, but King James did believe in the divine right of kings, which was not very Protestant of him. The KJV exists largely because he wasn’t a big fan of the Protestant translations of the day, which tended to equate king with tyrant.

8 Likes

I dunno, he always struck me as more of an Old Testament kind of guy. He certainly doesn’t embody any teachings of Jesus.

6 Likes