Rosanne Barr has a pact with other comedians to "be even more offensive"

We have to protect comedy.

Well, you might have a point if you were, I dunno … actually funny?

(Echoing what countless others have said - punching down, racist, stale etc. But it’s just offensive.)

Odd how those who are mindlessly offensive often retort “it was just a joke” but don’t like being told “it’s not clever and it’s not funny” and those who think being offensive IS funny don’t see that nobody is laughing.

8 Likes

People pining for the days of Richard Pryor, George Carlin and Lenny Bruce need to realize that times change and that it’s entirely possible to be funny without using foul language or targeting specific segments of the population.

11 Likes

Bill Cosby and Louis CK come to mind, I don’t know if that’s who she rolls with these days.

7 Likes

Some forms of it can be junked, and good riddance!

7 Likes

So she’s ‘cancelled’ but still gets TV and press interviews, still has a voice… uh huh.

Actually, she is currently offensive … her goal has been achieved, congrats. She wins an Ambien.

16 Likes

I also feel like they would be shocked SHOCKED to learn that they probably would be punching up at the fascist more than punching down at minorities.

Especially Carlin. Dude hated Republicans.

I remember Rosanne was pretty funny with her crass slice of life humor in the 80s. It was pretty relatable “every gal” stuff. Too bad she’s a racist piece of shit and is running with that now.

11 Likes

They try to claim everybody that they like though. I’ve seen them try to claim Billy Connolly as some kind of anti trans icon. I don’t think Pamela Stephenson would be staying with him if he was.

17 Likes

I’m also reminded of W.H. Auden:

Satire is angry and optimistic—it believes that the evil it attacks can be abolished; Comedy is good-tempered and pessimistic—it believes that however much we may wish we could, we cannot change human nature and must make the best of a bad job.

By his definition Barr is neither a satirist nor a comedian. She’s just trying to preserve her career by being mean-spirited.

18 Likes

I didn’t remember that, but earlier today I was imagining a scenario where we’re forcibly gathered to listen to (1) Tweets that (under previous ownership) would have been deleted, instead read aloud; and (2) a parade of Dodge Chargers, fartcanned imports, dirtbikes etc. revving their engines. I leave it to the reader to imagine whether this happens under the POTUS administration of George Santos, or Rob Schneider.

ETA:

Well, perhaps she hasn’t yet lined up someone else to replace Gallagher.

9 Likes

Sure Jan GIF

29 Likes

Imagine being someone who appreciates people who stigmatize disadvantaged people? What’s wrong with people like that? Did their parents not love them?

25 Likes

seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

It’s just cruel, the stuff of bullies. I’m pretty sick of people sticking up for bullies… Like, they are just those wanna-be bullies who hang out with the bully, because they have no sense of self, except for their connections to what they see as power.

A pretty sad life, it seems to me… or it would be if they weren’t so destructive to others.

29 Likes

It seems like an overarching cultural theme since 2010 or so: “won’t someone please think of the bullies!?” I thought it had peaked with George Zimmerman but I suppose that was merely the door being kicked open.

(Edit to show where/to whom I meant to reply)

15 Likes

Tankies, Strasserists and NazBols are not real progressives. They are the ones who would support Rosanne Barr though, through some misguided loyalty based on perceived class.

21 Likes

Imagine not being against blackface, and thinking you’re a real progressive. :roll_eyes:

20 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

16 Likes

Our new “progressive” commenter is probably Googling those terms as we write.

19 Likes

Snl Google It GIF by Saturday Night Live

12 Likes

A throw-away in one episode, The Blanks, I think.

10 Likes

Okay!

dog ride GIF

10 Likes