Rosanne Barr has a pact with other comedians to "be even more offensive"

The right wing elected a racist insult comedian as their president/god-king. Just because someone can get a few people to laugh with them doesn’t mean they’re on the right side of things.

And:

20 Likes

Nor does it mean it’s funny… it’s just bullies punching down, laughing at people they hurt.

23 Likes

She worked real hard and has come out with some truly original groundbreaking new material /s

26 Likes

That’s sticking it to those authoritarian lib-tards! /s

16 Likes

I haven’t watched her stuff in ages but I remember there was an old episode of Roseanne where she was furious at DJs’ misbehavior and spanked him as a punishment. Then she realized she was passing on generational trauma from her own sub-par upbringing and tearfully apologized to her son, swearing that she’d never resort to corporal punishment again regardless of the provocation.

Flash forward a few decades to the reboot and Roseanne has done a complete 180, telling her TV family that they need to stop being so “PC” and give her grandkids a good spanking now and then to lay down the law.

32 Likes

The old show really struggled with stuff like that all the time. They showed a realistic depiction of working class life and all the uncertainties of living in the economic margins. It was really great. I didn’t get that same depth from the episodes I watched from the new show… it’s really sad, as they could have done some great stuff with the current political landscape. I suspect that Barr really was responsible for that.

I have not really seen the Conners since she left…

19 Likes

Yeah I didn’t see much of the new show when Rosanne was on it. The couple I did catch seemed to have a tonal shift than what I remember.

But I have seen about a half dozen of the show post her exit (The Conners) and the tone seems to be more “We’re all messed up one way or another, but we love each other.”

Nice to see Katey Sagal on TV again, too.

6 Likes

Yeah, I feel “owned” /s

7 Likes

The original show was fairly progressive for its day too. For example, one of the main recurring characters came out as a lesbian in 1992 (back when there was very real concern at the top levels of American government that a TV network aired a show featuring an unmarried mother).

19 Likes

25 Likes

Weird how tons of money (generally) turns one into a raging a-hole… next time a Rwinger extolls how conservatives revere the flag and the anthem and what not I’ll remind them of their new hero grabbing her crotch while singing the national anthem. uh, good times?

and my hat is off to every single mom: it’s hard enough with two dedicated caring parents.

8 Likes

Getting off topic, but it’s kind of related. On Wait Wait last weekend, they revealed that the kids’ bathroom on the Brady Bunch didn’t have a toilet because, at that time, we weren’t allowed to show toilets on TV. Yet, remember that famous, “Hey you guys! Ow, my nose!” episode where Marsha gets hit in the face with a football? The way they filmed that was by actually throwing a football at her face. Several times, because the prop guy couldn’t hit her nose the first few times.
I just thought it was such a messed up reflection of our cultural priorities.
Indicate that people have bodies that defecate by showing a bathroom fixture? NO WAY!
Strike a child actor in the face repeatedly? Hey, do what you gotta do.
:roll_eyes:

20 Likes

THIS. Bad form to just quote an entire post, I know, but this bears a lot of repeating. GNU

12 Likes

See also I Love Lucy, But In A Non-Sexual Way

I-love-Lucy

14 Likes

A shame isn’t going for “be more funny.”

A much tougher goal to hit, that also would require needing to improve and thus call for humility.

4 Likes

I particularly like this summary of Rosanne’s work:

17 Likes

In fact, Brady Bunch was the first show to have one bed for a married couple, and they even showed them in it sometimes.

14 Likes

Me Me Me Fainting GIF by Archie Comics

16 Likes

It’s bizarre to see someone who was once considered one of the most influential figures in American comedy fall so far behind the curve that even infamously unfunny person Elon Musk beat her to the gag months ago.

14 Likes

Yeah, this is “dregs of open-mic Tuesday” levels of bad.

13 Likes