Rosanne Barr has a pact with other comedians to "be even more offensive"

Rosanne Barr has a pact with other comedians to “be even more offensive”

I guess that means Netflix has signed them all.

7 Likes

Reminds me of what happened to Gallagher in his later years as he gradually turned from “that prop comic who smashes watermelons” to “that bizarre old geezer who screams nonsensical bigoted rants and occasionally spits on people.”

9 Likes

We all know “being cancelled” is just a euphemism for facing consequences for your actions, right?

13 Likes

It was, but increasingly it’s just a euphemism for facing criticism for your actions before the the NYT rushes to your defense.

15 Likes

And it’s such a lame joke anyway. So if we’re talking about Tesla we’d say, “Musk reports the autopilot will be fixed shortly. Prosecute said Fauci’s team is working on it?”
Idiots.

15 Likes

I would like to thank you for introducing me to him. I just watched Every advert (in the future) and I’m grateful I have good bladder control.

7 Likes

Apparently not. I knew about the Munsters, but not so many others.

12 Likes

And such a tired lame joke. If a professional comedian is gonna tell a lame transphobic joke then one would at least expect it be something more original than the lame transphobic joke that has been doing the rounds on right-wing Twitter for literal calendar years.

I mean if you’re a bigoted comedian who can’t even come up with new bigoted material then even Fox is probably going to get tired of you pretty quick.

16 Likes

I followed the RS article’s link to the article in The Stranger, where they say this about a Gallagher show ca 2010.

less a triumphant comeback and more the perversely fascinating but ultimately insignificant ramblings of a desperate has-been.

History rhymes.

12 Likes

Only if Satan tells them to, apparently. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

The comedians railing at being cancelled thing never ceases to amaze me. There is one ancient and all powerful arbiter who has always determined where the line is in comedy, the audience. If your audience is sick of your shit, that’s not some failing of the audience, that’s just the gig. Bits like To is a Preposition and Seven Dirty words, weren’t great because they shocked, but because they managed to actually get laughs. Recycling material that would have been dated in the 80s and acting like you are pushing the envelope is just tiring.

But even taking the idea of comedian as jesters taking aim to reveal deeper truths, they fail to do much that is actually transgressive. Compare something like Nanette to Barr’s pronoun jokes. Barr’s joke is so familiar that we could have all written the punchline a decade ago. It takes Barr’s classic stage persona and feeds through a standard trope, creating nothing new and asking nothing of the audience. Nanette questions the actual relationship between the audience and performer. One of those is deeply trangressive of cultural taboos, but it isn’t the one coming out of Barr.

14 Likes

Oh Dog no, you made me think of things coming out of Roseanne Barr.

Ngapa Why Would You Do This To Me GIF

14 Likes

“ Rosanne Barr has a pact with other comedians to “be even more offensive””

To Tucker Carlson?

8 Likes

This was mentioned in the Brady Bunch Movie

5 Likes

It looks like the Faux Nooz dood just fed her lines and she said “yeah” each time. What really was this? Is there anything anywhere that Barr said directly about this or is it another outrage confection from Faux? Did she post something?

2 Likes

Funny that Lucy and Ricky couldn’t share a bed but Ethel and Fred could. I guess the censors just didn’t consider them to be sexy enough.

9 Likes

He also had a bit of a green streak, e.g. “The River Poem” from one of his specials. It made an impression on the adolescent Gyrofrog.

4 Likes

IKR? I never noticed that.

7 Likes

Blown Away Wow GIF by Aminé

9 Likes

No, the Flintstones nor the Bradys were not the first to share a bed.

Though Fred Flintstone was probably among the first to get his rocks off on screen.

11 Likes