Rosanne Barr has a pact with other comedians to "be even more offensive"

My wife and I are seriously considering the I Love Lucy bedroom setup. When one of us is ill and takes to the couch for a night, it’s the best sleep the other of us has ever gotten.

I’m sure we can negotiate sleepovers.

15 Likes

For something to be funny, it has to have a some truth to it. It needs to be original, as well. A joke revolving around Asians being good at math or black people liking watermelon isn’t funny because it’s A) not original (first time I heard that I laughed so hard I fell off my dinosaur and broke my wooden underwear.) and B) Doesn’t ring true (lots of different people are good at math and who doesn’t like watermelon?
This is why most conservative comedy isn’t funny. It’s just some asshole on stage with a mic complaining about the “Dems.” How many times has Fox News tried to come up with a conservative version of The Daily Show? A few.

3 Likes

Water Bottle Reaction GIF

9 Likes

Hmm. I don’t think most conservative comedy isn’t funny because it’s unoriginal. It’s not funny to me because it’s fucking mean.

And btw, there is no objective standard for funniness. Conservative audiences find that mean, bullying humor hilarious.

11 Likes

And both are racist as shit? :woman_shrugging:

13 Likes

Well hey, as long as it’s original you’re gonna laugh, amirite?

/s

9 Likes

I mean, but seriously… I don’t understand how people can’t grok how reinforcing racist stereotypes contributes to violent racism. It dehumanizes the victims and makes it easier to hurt them.

11 Likes

Me and the wife have been married for 38 years together for 43 since high school.

Seperate sleeping rooms has been a thing for years. A good night’s sleep is better for the marriage than keeping each other up because of snoring or my getting up every couple hours.

9 Likes

The next article is also interesting!

What a weird thing to prohibit.

8 Likes

Was it on “I Dream of Jeannie’s Navel”?

8 Likes

No, hers was covered up either with makeup or her waistband.
The first was on Dr. Kildare.
I’ve never really thought of the belly button as an overtly sexual image, so it’s funny to me that women’s were prohibited but men’s were just fine.
My favorite was #4 on the list:

So Excited Reaction GIF by Originals

15 Likes

Uhura beams back aboard the ship, clearly showing off her six-pack. The shot slipped by the censors. This has been credited to Star Trek superfan Bjo Trimble. She reportedly distracted the observer from Standards & Practices with a long lunch.

It wasn’t just the one glimpse of Uhura in the background though, she was showing off her belly button through the whole episode.

Silly thing to censor in any case given that the entire structure of Starfleet was already based on navel tradition.

16 Likes

12 Likes

Also all three would have mercilessly skewered people relying on lazy bigoted humor.

6 Likes

Because we have to be more offensive when we come back because we can’t be beaten down. We can’t let them kill comedy.

As the old saying goes, humor is tragedy plus intentional offense.

1 Like

There’s no shame in that. I have multiple happily-married-couple friends who choose separate beds and even separate rooms. Reasons range from different schedules to snoring issues to a desire for more space to one partner being too restless.

No sense in everyone being under-rested and miserable all the time because of some Hollywood movie standard that if we don’t spoon all night every night we must not really love each other.

10 Likes

I just remembered that Rosanne also had one of the first on-TV same-sex kisses, back when that was shocking to some. IIRC her show wasn’t the first but she was among the first five, and she pushed for it against the various studio execs.

If you’d put me into suspended animation back then and woke me up now, I’d be pretty shocked at the turns that she’s taken. Jeebus. Going from someone genuinely funny and useful to society to … whatever this is.

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.