Rumor: Nintendo planning SNES Mini

Highly doubtful IMNSHO for two basic reasons:

1. ZX Spectrum & C64 were not consoles despite having lots of games. The crash was about console gaming and computer gaming fell in the wake of the crash.
  2. Europe did not produce a console that ever had meaningful sales in the US. Since the size of the US market at the time far dwarfed any single European market (this all being before common market sales agreements, etc) I find it hard to believe that Europe could have reacted in any meaningful way to the crash.
1 Like

Maybe. Maybe not. I wonder about that a lot in general.

Anyway, I’ve never been clear on why 3rd party games really matter all that much, but my first Nintendo was the GameCube (and then the N64, then the SNES, NES, all three of which were eventually purged), and that might affect my perception.

Maybe not easier, but I like the former a whole lot more than the latter, though. (Of course, neither of them hold a candle to Wind Waker.)

I thought Wind Waker was the best because you could play an animated cartoon and that was utterly novel to me. (Realism has a place, but it’s not often a place I’d like to spend time in.) Also, it was the first Zelda game I’d ever played (and even finished). But no, cartoon.

2 Likes

The first point is fair…as many people have claimed that the NES mini wasn’t really capable of doing Punch-Out, for example, with the pinpoint accuracy of the real thing. Whether or not the SNES will have similar issues remains to be seen. The WiiU emulations of SuperFX games isn’t bad…so there’s a good chance the SNES mini will get these right too (typically very difficult for emulation). However, you do get a couple of tradeoffs, including a system designed for modern televisions, and save states.

As for your next point…I think that may be due to your choice of systems. The Gamecube had relatively little breakout 3rd party titles…but surely you understand that this doesn’t apply to all systems? Even Nintendo’s modern handhelds heavily rely on 3rd party support for some of their best games…

I’d fully expect an SNES mini to be full of great 3rd party titles, made up, more or less, from the things you can already get via the virtual console. However, I seriously doubt we’re going to get a “$60 for 30” deal this time around. Nintendo already charges more, per title, for SNES games. I’d expect a much smaller initial roster, along with the option to purchase additional titles, as premium DLC. There ain’t no way SE is going to allow someone to sell FFVI for $2…

Obviously, which games you prefer is a complex matter of personal preference. My argument, here, is that an average person will probably find the SNES’s lineup the easiest to sit down and play, without wanting to quit after 5 minutes due to crushing difficulty, unfamiliarity, loading times, relatively complex controls, etc. It’s not really an argument about preference, but what we might call “casual appeal”.

I think the NES mini was riding hard on nostalgia, but actual NES games are pretty brutal to play, for people that didn’t grow up on them. They’re pretty simple to get going, but you die a lot, and continues/saves are a luxury. Meanwhile, 3d games, like Wind Waker, have the opposite problem. Hand Grandpa the controller, and they spend about 10 minutes trying to wrap their brain around moving a 3d character with one hand, and a camera with the other, before passing it off, overwhelmed. I believe the SNES mini will ride a much finer line, offering a fair amount of nostalgia and challenge - thus keeping the “retro” image intact - but offering much more playable games.

Regardless, it’s debatable how far you could really keep the trend going, honestly. Maybe they’d do a handheld, old-school gameboy version, complete with a bundle of built in games…but a “mini-N64” would be a laughing stock without the Rare games, like Goldeneye. Rare was bought by Microsoft, and, obviously, there are going to be some major licensing issues…this is why you can’t get some of the N64’s better games, like Banjo-Kazooie, Goldeneye, Diddy-Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, etc. on the Virtual Console.

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Ouch, that means no Conker’s Bad Fur Day.*

*which probably hasn’t aged very well, I suppose.

4 Likes

I understand it. But after completely ignoring consoles (and video games in general) between the Vectrex and Atari VCS period through late PSX, I just don’t see why anyone should care or why it makes any sense to employ the fact as an indicator of any kind (especially for anything out of production).

Given that Nintendo pretty much has the only viable mobile gaming console platform, is this really that significant?

Are you sure?

I’d buy a miniN64 much more quickly than a miniSNES or miniNES and I grew up with none of these consoles!

I know this is possibly an unpopular opinion, but the only two Rare titles I actually enjoy is Banjo Kazooie, and Jet Force Gemini, though I never finished it.

Wait…you don’t see why anyone should “care” that a system had breakout 3rd party titles? Am I understanding you correctly? I guess the simple answer is that because people like good games? I don’t…understand what you’re trying to argue, here, really, or what the controversy is. What do you mean by “indicator of any kind”? Like…does it not make sense to you that people are more likely to buy an SNES-mini that contains Street Fighter II and Squaresoft rpgs, or a mini-N64 that contains Goldeneye - as opposed to systems that only contained 1st party titles?

Secondly, Nintendo is certainly not the only viable mobile gaming console platform, and there’s a good chance that the actual market leader is within arms reach of you right now. That’s the whole reason that Super Mario Run exists, which, ironically, makes Nintendo, themselves, a 3rd party publisher, for Apple.

As far as the N64 goes…yes, I’m pretty sure. Goldeneye, alone, would sell systems. Fwiw, that link you referenced is for a failed console. I’d bet you dollars to donuts that a fully-featured mini-SNES would be far more popular than a hamstrung mini-N64, due to a variety of factors. The N64 has a much smaller library to choose from in the first place, licensing issues with some of it’s most popular titles, is notoriously light on rpgs, and many of it’s games are perceived to be inferior versions of future franchises, that don’t quite stand the test of time (like Smash Bros., Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc.).

I feel like, in hindsight, both it and the PS1 skirts a little too close to modern consoles, and some games just comes off as less polished, prototypical versions of games we like to play on our modern systems. Go back and try some of it’s older games, like Resident Evil, if you want to see what I mean.

Meanwhile, the SNES is widely considered the pinnacle of 2D gaming, with some pretty solid, timeless, masterpieces in it’s roster. Super Metroid is still as good, today, as it was 20 years ago, and it’s doubtful Nintendo, or anyone else, could ever make a better 2d Metroid game. Many of these games feel like they’re near the peak of their evolution, which delivers a rich experience. I understand if you prefer 3d gaming, but 2D has a lot of appeal to a lot of people…and even if you didn’t grow up playing these, literally millions of people did.

1 Like

I’m sure this was the fault of modern TV latency - the same reason light gun game don’t work on modern TVs -not anything to do with emulation.

You can get this on the Xbox One today in the Rare Replay.

And no, it really hasn’t aged well and neither have most of those old 3D platformers.

Apple and Google beg to disagree.

1 Like

[quote=“Grim_Beefer, post:30, topic:99300”]
you don’t see why anyone should “care” that a system had breakout 3rd party titles?[/quote]

Some folk appear to use “3rd party” support as a basis for how successful something is. That may as well be, but everyone seems to forget about all the shovelware that also tends to go with it.

I found myself pretty content with what I got for the Gamecube. And when I wasn’t, I found myself about as content with my PS2 purchase.

Pretty sure we were talking about consoles, though, and Apple iOS and Android are general-purpose computing devices which have more in common with the PC.

Successful games for iOS tend to be written to take specific advantage of the touch interface. I don’t think that makes them consoles, however, any more than a game for Windows makes a PC a console.

No doubt. I don’t regard it as essential (again, no nostalgia). Also, I mention the iQue because there’s probably not much stopping Nintendo from using something like it as a basis for a miniN64 nostalgia console.

You wouldn’t even be emulating the games as in the case of the NES/SNES, since it’s largely based on the N64’s actual hardware. I don’t doubt it probably wouldn’t be as popular as a SNES in an emulator, but that doesn’t very much matter. A thing can be successful and still be less popular than something else. It just needs to make a profit.

Are there any video games which—independent of any nostalgia—do age well?

Zelda: a Link to the Past.
Final Fantasy Tactics
Super Mario World

I think those three are games that could be released today unaltered and still receive the same level of critical acclaim they did when they were first released.

1 Like

I would go with Yoshi’s Island on this list. I think it may be in my all time top-10.

3 Likes

I’ve never personally played that, or I’d have added it. SMW was the first came I ever reached 100% completion on, and I think I’d have as much fun doing that today as I did then.

It’s not Nintendo, but I’d add Psychonauts to the list. It was critically hailed when it came out but was pretty much a bomb, but its popularity grew through word of mouth. Tim Schafer recently said that their studio made more money in the last few years on Psychonauts than in the first five years of its release.

2 Likes

Oh man, I think I need to dig it out and play it again. This review does it justice.

1 Like

We’re just splitting hairs. Devices from Apple and running Android can be just as much “consoles” as what Nintendo puts out. While not portable, the Apple TV was heavily positioned for its gaming chops, and there’s numerous portable and standaone Android powered devices that are marketed specifically as budget handheld gaming machines. Should the Nintendo 3DS be excluded from being a console because it has a web browser, app store, and YouTube? Give a kid an iPod Touch loaded with games and tell them it’s not a handheld console.

Absolutely! 2D platformers are largely timeless, as are adventure, strategy, 2D fighting, and RPG titles.

Old 3D titles in particular really stand out as not aging well because it took a lot of iterations of software and hardware to really start getting good. Pick up any old 3D game and there’s likely to be extremely wonky physics, weird controls, and a terrible camera. Especially. The. God. Damn. Cameras. I get a rage-on just thinking about how awful the cameras are in some of those old 3D platformers. I think things finally started getting more universally good at around the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era when controllers came standard with two analog sticks that made for sensible character+camera controls.

1 Like

^ This. One of the best things about Final Fantasy Tactics being released for iOS was infinite camera position options, instead of the “four corners” option that had been there before!

I recall that when the NES Mini was first announced, one could easily be left with the impression that no one was particularly interested in buying it, considering the availability of the Virtual Console, emulators, and clone systems like the RetroN. I speculate that Nintendo would have been very cautious about exceeding demand, as interest in buying further VC releases would be severely hampered by a glut of NES Minis sitting around at bargain-basement prices.

But eh. It remains that Nintendo would be rolling in the dough if they found some way to monetize the sport of speculating about what Nintendo should be doing.

[quote=“ficuswhisperer, post:39, topic:99300”]Old 3D titles in particular really stand out as not aging well because it took a lot of iterations of software and hardware to really start getting good. Pick up any old 3D game and there’s likely to be extremely wonky physics, weird controls, and a terrible camera. Especially. The. God. Damn. Cameras. I get a rage-on just thinking about how awful the cameras are in some of those old 3D platformers.[/quote]Seems to me this is why we may never see a rerelease of Super Mario Sunshine. They’d have to invest serious funds to make that vaguely palatable.

2 Likes

I know, right? Everybody has such nostalgia for that game but I remember it being a controller smashing affair. It’s one of the few mainline SMB games I never completed and I fully blame the camera for that.

Googling these now. (I don’t know about Link to the Past. I’ve found the game to be very frustrating, but keep trying to finish it without help to see if I can finish it. But maybe it is. I haven’t quit permanently yet.)

Any others? I’m in a discovery mode now, even looking at games I’ve completely ignored in the past like fighting games that aren’t Soul Calibur.

Mm. Nevertheless, I still see far more meaningful differences there than not. There’s gray areas, sure, but I don’t think an iPad/iPhone/whatever is the same kind of thing as a device explicitly dedicated to games, like the 3DS or some of the android-based game consoles I’ve seen (which I think are what you’re referring to); YouTube/web browsing seem more like afterthoughts, not peers with the games themselves.

You can use a console exclusively for solitary games, but you don’t have to, and this seems to be more the default for gaming on PCs and iOS devices. And I’m talking about social gaming, where the participants are all in the same room, not online gaming.

Oh, yeah, I recall Spyro the Dragon games got it right for the PSX, but it’s taken a long while for this to settle out.