Russia prison chief reassures inmates yoga won't make them gay

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/08/russia-prison-chief-reassures.html

5 Likes

No but it will make hipsters out of them.

10 Likes

Yeah, but if yoga did make you gay, at least it would dramatically cut your risk of getting cooties from girls.

14 Likes

I wish I could catch the “gays” from my yoga mat.

note sadly the sarcasm

5 Likes

After several decades of state-sanctioned homophobia, I’m not remotely surprised by this.

21 Likes

Odd, dudes here do yoga for the chicks.

14 Likes

Translation: Theological professor Alexander Dvorkin saw prisoners doing yoga and was sexually aroused. Being religious and having no real understanding of human sexuality, he is ill equipped to deal with these feelings and seeks to end prison yoga rather than deal with his own issues…

43 Likes

d340db8be957631cbb238fb4e4e10155

7 Likes

I did hatha yoga in college, and years later came out as bi. Correlation, or causation???

7 Likes

What a Russia Prison Chef may look like

1 Like

I thought it was Obamacare that made you gay.

2 Likes

Sadly, it will be years later that Dvorkin will realize that it was not in fact the yoga that aroused such shameful feelings in him. It was the whole act of locking men up together in such close quarters, prisons, that did.

But, alas, it was too late, he had lost the ear of the party, shunned by the men he admired. No one would listen to his ideas on the evil gayness of the industrial prison complex. He did the only thing a good Christian (Orthodox? what me read the story??) could do, he spent his last few rubles on a loudspeaker and an over-sized poster. Now he can be seen strolling through red square waving a giant tattered poster of a group of shirtless prison inmates and yelling something unintelligible into a fanny pack speaker phone that has the karaoke mode still set to 11.

10 Likes

Yoga makes you gay? How absurd! Here in America we know better. Here the fight to ban yoga is because it makes you Hindu.

16 Likes

Typo.

While I agree with the conclusion that a person is born gay, and not made gay, I would argue that yoga in prison could lead to heteroflexibility.

4 Likes

I am going with… neither?

1 Like

Eh… fuck biological determinism, yo! Nice way to invalidate the experiences of individuals whose sexual orientations shift over the life time.

4 Likes

In Russia, yoga does you!

2 Likes

I thought it was the hot yoga that made you gay? Regular yoga was ok?

2 Likes

and if we end up discovering that that is determined by the person’s DNA as well…

1 Like

Funny story. A near-sighted friend of ours was deeply into yoga for years. Then he got Lasek surgery. He was suddenly introduced to dozens of distractions he had never encountered before.

7 Likes