Safeway Lunch Box Sandwich Spread ad, 1955

Looks like it’s some variation of “secret sauce”. Probably mayo, mustard, katsup, and dill pickle relish.

Tasty on a sandwich. Certainly no worse than many other condiments.

4 Likes

I’d try it.

1 Like

Dashing my dreams of another awesome condiment discovery like mushroom ketchup, this was was only mayo and relish.

2 Likes

Sadly, yes. As a condiment fan, I can’t recommend it much.

A better sandwich spread is Branston Pickle, especially the ‘small chunk’ for sandwiches. A layer of that and a slice of good cheddar is a terrific sandwich. Also good with cold meats.

4 Likes

“The best thing is, its inexpensive.”

Bweehhhhhhh. Yes, “inexpensive” is the most important thing that comes to mind when buying food for the kids. Stales slices from thrift-store Wonder Bread; “Luncheon Loaf” from a company you never heard of marked SPECIAL. And a thrifty smear of Lunch Box spread.

6 Likes

Evil in a jar, oh how wonderful.

2 Likes

I eat a similar Sandwich Spread made by Kraft, nobody else in my family will touch the stuff, but I love it, very much like miracle whip + pickle + pimento. Normally I’d never touch this sort of contrived foodstuff, but my grandmother used it to make sandwiches for me as a child, so there’s a strong nostalgia component. It really does add another layer of depth to a sandwich.

7 Likes

Damn, you just described my childhood fridge contents.

2 Likes

I’ve had tuna salad sandwiches that had relish in the filling. Not bad. So you may be on the mark.

1 Like

I very rarely eat “those kind of sandwiches” these days. Cold cuts – preserved meat – are pretty much entirely out of my diet.

That said . . . I’d rather have this with cold cuts than straight mayonnaise*, which I find too gloppy and squishy “straight.”

• Holy crap, I spelled that correctly on the first try.

Yup. I used to love this as a kid one white bread. And cheddar. Om nom nom.

Whether struck down by poverty or just getting up from a week long binge on your drug of choice, it’s always comforting to know there’s at least some Safeway Lunch Box left in the refrigerator!

Hmm, all out of bread though… “Hey Kids, you know it’s great stuff all by itself!? I’ll put the jar and some spoons in your lunch box!”

Given that my daily lunchbox sandwich for years was olive loaf and miracle whip on Wonder bread, I completely understand the nostalgia factor.

3 Likes

Just needs renaming.

Call it “sweet pickle relish aioli” (or maybe even “preserved cucumber and pepper aioli”) and you could sell it by the artisanal fuckton.

13 Likes

It’s kinda funny, olive loaf has its roots in mortadella and emulsified pages, which cost a shit ton these days. As a kid I would have liverwurst sandwiches fairly often–if I try and buy a duck liver pate its like $40/lbs.

3 Likes

I had liverwurst quite often, as well. Braunschweiger is much cheaper and very similar. I can’t find any of the crappy lunch meats of my youth anymore, however (Oscar Meyer olive loaf, pickle & pimento loaf, or cheddar loaf, my sister’s favorite).

3 Likes

I just remembered, my mother in law still buys something very similar to the product in this thread, and eats sandwiches made from that, butter, and white bread.

You can take the okie out of Oklahoma, but you can’t take the bad food out of the okie.

5 Likes

Its for making sandwich flavored sandwiches.

4 Likes

I would buy aioli if they measured the contents of the bottle in artisinal fucktons.

I’m sure I’m not alone in this.

6 Likes

“Sandwich Spread”, it goes great with “Luncheon Loaf.”

1 Like