'SANCTIONS ARE COMING' - Trump has 'Game of Thrones' poster of himself on table in Cabinet meeting

Well they said “how do you say copyright infringement in Dothraki” not me…so either they were entirely joking or they were subtly saying cease and desist. Additionally, the copyright (assuming they were in any measure serious) doesn’t have to be about the photo of him. They may own the font type used, or perhaps the phrased of “X is coming” in that manner and could lay a claim to it.

The point here is that in the case of any political use of materials or song…unless there is clear cut “Fair use” or “express permission” then the authoring artist always has the legal leg to stand on and say “Don’t use that”.

I certainly don’t know the details anymore than you do. I just would be happy if HBO had any part in making Nostradumbass’ life even the tiniest more difficult is all.

Deleted because Google + research = the answer to my question.

5 Likes

Whomever made that tweet for HBO wasn’t a lawyer.

Had they used the actual Game of Thrones logo or an image of a dragon or character, then they would have something.

As it is, it’s at worse a parody.

And it is probably less egregious than these NASA promo posters, who did let the actual Starfleet logo slip in.

In short, we don’t want copyright law to be that broad. Period.

1 Like

Cool. Thank god we have you litigating the Internet for us all. By all means tell me more

Like I fucking said…I just think it would be nice if they made his life difficult in any way shape or form. But by all means continue to argue copyright law with me like I give a fuck.

1 Like

Try a Voodoo doll or ancient Sumerian curse. Something target specific that doesn’t affect others’ rights.

Silly me. I didn’t realize HBO going after him with a cease and desist for using something they have rights to would effect other people’s rights.

Thank so much for setting me straight On that.

OK - well - hypothetically let’s say they felt they had a case. A slim one, but they want to go for it. And they win. Then you have a case all future cases will cite when other corporations want to go after parodies. And the way US law works, the past decisions usually effect how the courts rule on future cases.

So that is why I am against pushing for copyright/trademark enforcement where there shouldn’t be, even if the target in this case is an asshole.

Is he still accepting invites to weddings?

5 Likes

cersei-laughs-whatever

5 Likes

Or “Rope. Tree. Journalist. Some Assembly Required.”

https://adage.com/article/cmo-strategy/buy-rope-tree-journalist-shirt-walmart-yesterday/311461/

3 Likes

Bronn too:

4 Likes

To paraphrase one of my grandfathers, Fascists ruin everything.

"My guess?

LAWYERS ARE COMING"

Your guess is awful. What trademark or copyright do you think was violated? It can’t be the word because {X} is coming couldn’t be copyrighted. Maybe you think it’s the font? If so, how in the world would a judge or jury agree that the use of the font causes “confusion with the show” to the extent that it caused HBO harm? Either way, it is clear parody and protected speech.

Stop with your baseless copyright BS and focus on the fact that he is a wannabe tin pot dictator trying to infuse our culture with propaganda like this.

1 Like

Yeah, honestly to me this had the look of a poster that some intern or lickspittle cabinet member printed out at Staples to try to make Trump smile, and then nobody wanted to be the guy to actually take it away when they started filming the meeting.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.