School board members quitting to avoid threatening, hostile crowds

Kinda hoping sending 'em off to Mars before the tech is ready counts as dealing with 'em.

2 Likes

That only works when the cops aren’t on the same side as the QNuts terrorists.

6 Likes

No. It does not.

2 Likes

This isn’t one of those problems that comes down to a small handful of billionaires vs. everyone else. The problem here is that a significant and growing portion of our society is embracing fascism.

24 Likes

jada pinkett smith that part GIF by Red Table Talk

13 Likes

One thing that really bothers me about this is that radical right wing extremists have been getting elected to school boards, and if the reasonable people quit in response to this harassment (which I totally understand—nobody ran to have their lives and their families threatened), the extremists may become the majority on these boards.

16 Likes

Which is probably the intent of the harassment.

13 Likes

Terrorism is effective. That’s why there’s so damned much of it going on.

5 Likes

And ignorance.

Pratt: “There is starting to be an inherent distrust for school boards, that there’s some notion that we are out to indoctrinate children or to undermine parents or things like that…”

Well, yeah. When the parents are determined to keep their kids as ignorant and misinformed as possible, you have to counteract that with education and enlightenment, for the sake of the kid’s futures.

14 Likes

This kind of threatening as part of a mechanism for political change is clearly against the law.

Personal threats to drive people from board positions, and replace them with others that will support the terrorists goals is clearly illegal.

Why is law enforcement not acting on it?

12 Likes

And guess who replaces those members who quit? That’s right.

And that’s why your kids go to maskless schools, sing about Jesus in school choirs, learn that slavery and the holocaust didn’t happen, etc.etc.etc.

6 Likes

They’re on the same side.

We’re in the midst of a right-wing authoritarian movement to suppress evidence-based policy and critical thinking. The police know which side their bread is buttered on.

13 Likes

Then Federal Law-Enforcement should intervene. This is terrorism.

7 Likes

I agree, they should. But I refer to the above statement. The Feds are largely on the side of the right-wing authoritarians too, so even if we could deploy Federal LEOs to every school board meeting across the country it’s not a given they would shut those fools down.

14 Likes

I think they have to start somewhere, and charging some of these fools from one of these well documented and publicized events, like this one, is the best deterrent to make others across the country stand down.

These jack-asses threatening the doctor on camera should be charged, and tried in a highly public way. Just like our Jan 6th friends.

11 Likes

That’s fucked. I wonder how many of these people feral beasts even have children in the schools they’re going after.

2 Likes

School board members feeling (let’s face it) physically threatened. Where is law enforcement…

… oh, yeah. Right.

6 Likes

If law enforcement will not step up to protect these people, face it thats why we have civil rights organizations –– to take those police to court to force them to do their job. If its corruption all the way up, then it needs prosecution all the way up.

9 Likes

And all fed by Faux News and OAN etc…

Our school board sent an e-mail for “clarification” after what I assume was a shitshow of a last meeting, the contents of which reassured us parents that they were not teaching elementary school kids “critical race theory”, that elementary schoolers didn’t have forced sex education classes (happens here in intermediate and again in high school), and that the on campus mask requirement was indeed a thing, and mandated by law.

These chucklefucks are more interested in reinforcing their fantasy world view than they are actually knowing what is going on (or how it influences or doesn’t influence the kids).

6 Likes

This is a rhetorical question, yes? Because the answer is obvious. Law enforcement supports the terrorists.

6 Likes