Scientists create blackest black yet

Or maybe they read

My alma mater the University of Rochester has one of the most powerful lasers in the world, which was used to turn metals to ā€œnone more blackā€ a few years ago: http://www.rochester.edu/news/show.php?id=2701

I am not sure how it compares to 0.04% reflectivity, and I suspect it might not be a visual black hole quite as dramatic as this. But, the practical applications are a little more broad and straightforward. And literally metal, a plus if youā€™re a metalhead or Spinal Tap. Laser-blackened metal armor is one badass application I can think of (though armor made from carbon nanotubes is even better, admittedly, and more cyberpunk). Oh and it uses an insanely powerful laser so thatā€™s badass too.

2 Likes
1 Like

Ok, so itā€™s really black and suitable for space yadda yadda blah. But : will it blend.

How black is it along the wider EM spectrum? Whatā€™s the blackness in the 4-12Āµm region? What in near to far UV? If the length of the nanotubes matches e.g. a quarter of visible/near-IR light wavelength, could they be grown on semiconductive substrates and act as rectenna solar cells? This could be a great thing for coating of bolometer-array sensors for thermal imaging. Or for photon dump blocks for e.g. MEMS mirror arrays for e.g. DLP projectors or optical fiber switches/attenuatorsā€¦ Millions of applications!

Nowā€¦ the crucial question. Will the tech be hackerspace-friendly, the coatings possible to be applied without a zillion-dollar lab?

2 Likes

Didnā€™t the monolith never get anything resembling a definite composition because it had some sort of short-range repulsive property? I vaguely remember there being a description, when TMA-1 has been recovered and placed in front of the UN building: the human architecture has been coated with a thin layer of vapor-deposited diamond to preserve it; but the monolith could not be coated and did not need to be, your fingers just sort of slid above the surface if you tried to get your greasy hands on itā€¦

Also obligatory:

4 Likes

You should ask this guy.

Yes, THAT one. I admit I am seriously jealous of him!

Yeah, I saw this first, and thought my envy had peaked, but noā€¦

1 Like

That Applied Science guy is featured quite often at hackaday.com; the posts about his projects always make me drool so hard! And my lab/shop is a pale shadow of his one, to add the insult to the injury. And no vacuum tech here yet (grumble).

And while he is having fun with a hybrid rocket engine, I am stuck fooling around with a DIY potentiostatā€¦ That said, back to the shop!

A few years ago I found an industrial vacuum pump on the footpath in my street! Sweet score.

ā€¦Havenā€™t managed to find a use for it yet, aside from the obvious >_>

My current project is a DIY Di2-style system, using Arduino and RC servosā€¦ canā€™t wait to get it rocking.

Thatā€¦ SUCKS! :smiley:

How low goes it? Good enough just for degassing of resins and vacuforming, or would it do the job of the first stage for a diffusion one?

Niiiice! Document it when done? :smile: Canā€™t wait to see how it works inside!

Do the ā€œnormalā€ model servos have enough torque and enough resilience to last in service for significant time?

Why waste it on a one-time use? I assume it would be at least partly demolished by the EMTs in an effort to extricate you.

2 Likes

Luckily thereā€™s a bleed valve :wink:

Yo

The use of ā€œbleedā€ in this context is wince-worthy :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Letā€™s not milk this dryā€¦

1 Like

Ack!!

runs screaming from the room

Darker than a black steerā€™s tookus on a moonless prairie night.